Windows 98 Serv. Pack Or SE?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rohopish, Jun 13, 2006.

1. rohopish macrumors member

Hey there everyone!

I'm trying to install a D-Link wireless adapter on an older laptop so that it can get onto the internet (it doesn't have an ethernet port; 32 MB of RAM, Win 98 FIRST EDITION, etc., very slow...). Problem is, it won't install because the drivers, updates, etc. whatever (this is what the guy at D-Link told me) aren't up to date enough for something as new as the product I'm trying to use. So, what I wanted to know (because I'm not that good with Windows anymore, I've been using alot of Macs lately, but I love them both equally! =) ) is should I download the service pack for 98 FIRST EDITION or somehow find a copy of WIN 98 SE? I read somewhere that by doing all the updates for Win 98 F.E., it'll be really similar to 98 SE.

Please note: as you make have guessed, this laptop has no internet access, so whatever I use off of this macintosh will have to be burnt to cd so I can tranfer it to the laptop and install, etc. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

P.S. I can't find that service pack anywhere and Microsoft won't download it easily to me because I'm on a Mac (pas de "Automatic Update lol)

Bobby

2. cardude280 macrumors member

i do believe that u need to find a copy of 98SE

3. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

and what are you going to do on the internet with that thing?
    No webpage will load anymore with 32Mb of RAM. Any Flash or Java will kill it.
    I am sorry, but you are wasting your time, hope you realize that or realize it now :p
    Also note that Win98SE has a critical security hole that will not be fixed anymore. Was just in the news couple of days ago.

4. rohopish thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'll Try

I'll try to get a copy of 98 SE if possible, and if not, I'll just take the card back. :( I'm only using this laptop for school anyway.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

6. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

Oh yes, that will hurt badly with 32Mb RAM. There is no way you can run a modern GUI on that. No KDE or Gnome. So then you have Midnight commander and a text editor, not very useful for school work.
    I had KDE on a PII 350Mhz with lots of RAM and that was even sluggish.

7. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

You could probably get a better laptop for the amount you paid for the card. :p

Seriously though, the machine I used for school eight years ago had 256mb ram......

8. rohopish thread starter macrumors member

Hehe

Well, I returned the card and said **** it! haha, anyway, in august I'm buying a MacBook Pro. This isn't my laptop; just my neighbor's, and she doesn't use it anymore and since my classes involve about 20 pages of notes per school day, i prefer to type it up =D But hey, thanks so much you guys for your help. You guys are great! :)

My desktop is a Mac Mini with 1 GB of RAM, 100 GB HD, but I need a laptop! Now I just have to decide between the MB or MBP.... alas, that is for another thread! :D Thanks again guys...

-Bobby =)

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Going from 98 to 98 SE was not a free upgrade, but it was cheap. I think I paid around $20 for it when it first came out, I have no idea whether I still have the CD though.

10. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

I have two Windows 98 SE CDs, maybe OEM, who knows. If they are, I would have to give you a stick of RAM with them or something. :rolleyes:

Also: Windows 2000 is much more stable with only 32MB RAM than Windows 98. It is slower, but runs much better.

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Whatever, I used KDE with 8megs of RAM. Wasn't that bad, you're just a pansy :p