Windows AD Integratioin Issues

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by leeym, Dec 27, 2004.

1. leeym macrumors newbie

I've got a new iMac G5, and I'm trying to integrate it into a Win2K3 domain.

Using the "Active Directory" setting within the "Directory Access" utility, I've tried setting the AD Forest as "mycompany.com," the AD Domain as "mycompany.com," and the Computer ID as "computername-mac."

I have confirmed that the new Computer ID/host is pingable on the network, and have disabled Microsoft Network Client/Server settings within the Domain Controller Security Policy.

Still, I cannot attach this Mac to the Windows network. Any ideas why? Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is very bad form to double-post.

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

As long as Active Directory is configured properly you should just use company.com twice in the upper boxes, the name of the Mac (NOT THE SERVER NAME!!!) in the computer name box.

Under Advanced Options, check the box that says Prefer this domain server and put in the domain server. Then try clicking bind. It should then ask for a username and password. You use the username and password of the Windows Server, NOT the username and password of the Mac. It should then bind.

If it does bind with AD then I've always had to click ok. Then I had to go to the Authentication Tab and then under the search pull down menu, select Custom Path. Then click Add and select the Active Directory that you've just binded with your Mac. Then click Apply.

Then click on the Contacts Tab and do the same as you did with the Authentication tab and click apply. Then just log out and you should be able to log into the windows network.

If you get it working then I have a few other tricks you can use to make everyone have the same dock settings when they first login. So for example if you only want Safari, Mail, and the Microsoft Office Apps in the Dock for anyone that logs in, I can show you how to do that.

If nothing works, then tell me what it isn't doing. If there was an error then tell it here and we can better help you.

4. napoleon macrumors newbie

inconsistent

I am having a similar problem. I recently purchased 2 new ibooks and are attempting to integrate them with our 2003 AD domain. Following your instructions along with other sites we have visited we have successfully binded the ibooks to the domain. If you logout from there you can login as a network user. You can keep logging out and logging back in as a different users. However, after you reboot the system, no network user can log in. If you go unbind and then bind again to ad it will work again until reboot. After 3 days of frustration, we are out of answers and patience. Any suggestions woudl be recommended.

However, if you select cache last user logged in, it will let that user in and allow them to connect to network shares, exchange server, even allow network antivirus to update. This is strange, even after not letting other user authenticate...

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit