Windows and a game leaves 3 gigs...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by xPurpleblob, Jan 1, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Hello guys, so all I installed on my bootcamp partition was a call of duty game that takes up about 10 gb? and it only leaves 3 gigs to play with? The whole partition is about 70 gb. I've read about disabling the paging file but I'm really not sure how to do it and also that would still only leave about 15 gigs?...
    So any soultions to free up more space?

2. Quad5Ny, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

macrumors 6502a

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15613794

In addition to the steps in that post, it's also safe to delete all the files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\. That folder is just a temporary cache for Windows Updates.

3. macrumors 68030

Windows 7 = 17gb
    Hibernation file = size of RAM
    Swapfile = ???
    Game = X gb
    Windows updates = added to the 17gb of your base Windows install. Windows Vista onwards does not remove the old files updates replaced. Removing them is unsupported

I can't remember if you can turn off hibernation support...

4. macrumors newbie

To disable hibernation:

1. Open a command prompt as adminsitrator
    2. Type the following command: powercfg /h off

5. macrumors member

I created a 70gb boot camp partition and with windows 7 installed I had only 2 gigs left. Turns that that because my iMac has 32 gb of ram the hibernation file and page files were absolutely huge. Got rid of both and all of a sudden windows only takes up 11 gigabytes! :)