windows and PPC

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Tech^salvager, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

Which version of the PPC cpu does Windows work on? And also how much do they usually sell for?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It doesn't.

There *may* have been a version of NT4 that worked on PPC, but that's it.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Microsoft has not released versions of Windows for the PPC processor. You can however get an emulator like Virtual PC (commercial, $$$ but easier) or BOCHS (free, but more difficult to use) and install a standard Windows OS install on top of it.

4. Tech^salvager thread starter macrumors regular

no there is its called Windows NT but I do not know what PPC cpu it runs on. Does it run on the g3,g4, etc? which one will it run on? and the ones it can run on how much do they usually cost?

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

There are versions of NT4 Workstation and Server, and NT 3.51 Server that run on PPC chips. If memory serves, you are limited to the 601, 603, and 603e chips. Note: You CANNOT INSTALL WINDOWS ON A Mac even with the PPC editions. They were created to run on 3rd party machines by HP and IBM. Then two evils (Intel & M$) decided to prevent non x86 systems from growing, so the multi-platform NT was discarded. BTW: NT4 also had/has versions for MIPS, SPARC, x86, and PPC. I even have a CD with (I think) all 4 versions.

TEG

6. Tech^salvager thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the update TEG. that helps alot
    BTW its not sparc but Alpha that NT was also avaible for. I think there was a sparv version made but was never officaly released. I'll have to check my info again though. I also I think I read somewhere some one said it works on 604 ones

7. Tech^salvager thread starter macrumors regular