Windows (Any) on 24" iMac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by babakd90, Nov 1, 2006.

1. babakd90 macrumors newbie

I have a 24" iMac (obviously with C2D), and I can't seem to install any Windows versions on it. I've installed Windows Vista on a MacBook, MacBook Pro (Core Duo only), and Mac Mini - basically all had Core Duo.

With the iMac, I can't get it working - not even XP. It boots into the CD/DVD, the screen goes black, then there should be a white dash blinking...but that doesn't happen. I can often hear the drive spinning - every two minutes or so for about 5 seconds..but nothing else! Black screen for over 15 minutes..then I gave up. I tried BootCamp 1.1.2 and have tried separating/putting together the partitions several times. No luck!

Can anyone help? Please.

Thanks!

2. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Most of the time weirdness like that is the result of a burned disc.

Are you using a 'genuine' Windows disc?

3. babakd90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea

My Vista disk is given by Microsoft...my XP disk is completely genuine. They both worked on other Macs I tested...

4. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

Humm, just so everyone knows, the fact that the Windows CD is original or not doesn't matter. I've seen originals and non-originals running fine with bootcamp.

5. Snagaponga macrumors newbie

I've read somewhere that a large percent of iMac 24" can't install XP.

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-11-03/#6094

But the strange thing is that it works on some.
    That was one of the reasons i didn't buy an 24" iMac.....

6. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

7. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

i ran bootcamp and put xp pro on my 2footer with no problems. I bought an oem off of newegg because it the first time i have had to buy windows since the 3.1 days