Windows Bigot with first Mac - Update 1

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac_geek, Jul 26, 2004.

1. mac_geek macrumors newbie

Jun 13, 2004

Many thanks for your tips on what to expect with my first mac.

I write this to you now on Safari on my 17 inch Powerbook (5400 HDD and 128 MB Graphics) which arrived on Friday.

I now have Office 2004 installed which means I can access my corporate Exchange Server and bin my work-issued rubbish wintel laptop.

It all works great and in the main I am very happy.
    - No dead pixels on my 17 inches of lovely TFT. Great looking apps including the Office 2004 Project centre which rocks.
    - Pretty easy transition from Windows (note to others remember the Apple key rather than CTRL {I know Apple invented CTRL-C!}, the lack of a delete key {irritating}, the lack of a UK customized keyboard {@ and " in the wrong place}).
    - I love the sleep functions which work perfectly, waking up in around 5 seconds - compared to my 6 Windows laptops over the last 10 years which all failed to reliably recover Windows from hibernation.
    - Transition was pretty seamless - I will provide a further migration update in the next few days unless this one gets flamed too much ;-)
    - Integrated OK with my existing wireless and wired networks without too much hassle (although my 40-bit hex key was a pain to type in)

A few observations and myths to be dispelled:
    1. "You never have to re-boot to install apps on a Mac"
    Not true. 3 of the Apps I have installed have requested a re-boot on install, examples include Adobe After Effects, Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro.
    2. "Macs never crash"
    Not true. After two days use I find I have a known bug with the screensaver (if you know a fix please flame me mercilessly but leave me the solution). I leave the screensaver to come on after 5 mins. I enter the password after it is active (a standard Apple screensaver) and get a black screen with a working mouse pointer and that's it. No matter what I press I can only recover by holding down the power button for 5 secs until it forces a power off and then restart. After spending some time on google it appears this is a known bug. No more screensavers for me. What a pity such simple functionality doesn't work.

I have just ordered another 512MB of RAM to speed things up as 512MB alone seems to be not quite enough.

Do I regret spending 25% more on a Powerbook than the most expensive Wintel laptop I could find? No - it looks better than any of them and works as well as them - the screen is great although Word in Office 2004's default 100% view is not quite bit enough - 125% is better. Watching DVD's on this is amazing!

My iPod is the only other irritation. Having built a library on my Windows PC, when I first connect the iPod to the PB it wants to update the firmware and can't without wiping the whole thing. It would appear the only way I can have a music library on my PC in iTunes and on my PB in iTunes is to rip the CDs into both independently. Good job I ripped themm first using CDEX into MP3 then and imported. This way it is a simple copy and paste job followed by an import. I will leave the iPod as FAT32 so I can use it as a portable HDD.

(edit) - I forgot to mention the F9 view all open windows - best feature ever!

Thanks for your earlier advice and looking forward to a screensaver solution!
  2. szark macrumors 68030

May 14, 2002
    The functionality you are looking for is accomplished through Fn-delete. I really wish that Apple would indicate this on the keyboard, as they do with the other Fn choices.

I also agree it would be better if they provided a separate key for this function.

Never encountered the screensaver issue, so I can't help with that. :(
  3. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    The Apple key is referred to as the command key in manuals.

Never heard of or encountered the screen saver problem. I have had some problems with my BT dongle (non-Apple supported) and sleep.

What's with this copy and paste stuff? Just drag and drop man. ;P
    You can connect to your windows box (share you iTunes library in Windows's Explorer) and drag the to iTunes from the mounted drive. Well, this only works if you have your preferences set to copy music to my itunes library on both the windows and Mac machines. Works pretty good, unless you're saying you want to keep your PC as a Music server.

Hmmmm, no UK keyboard? Did you order your mac from a UK vender? I've known there have been questions on the forums about where the # key was (the user turned out was using a UK kb and it was the Option+3 key instead of the Shift+3 key)
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    You might also be able to use something like this to get around the iPod problem:

It says it works on PC formatted iPods, although I don't have one-such to test it with. So then you can also use the iPod as the conduit, you just don't get intelligent syncing....
  5. Logik macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    I have the same screen saver problem.. rather disappointing.. it just pops up a blank black screen with a mouse cursor... nothing i do but restarting fixes the problem. i had it happen the first or second day i got my new powerbook too.. 15" 1.33...

i LOVE knowing Fn-delete does what i want.. i didn't know until i read this.. THANKS!

this is also my first mac :)
  6. Fezwick macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2002
    Rhode Island
    I get this problem on my computer as well. When the black screen comes up, just hit command+shift+Q and hit enter. This will log you out and fix the problem. Just log back in and everything should be fine.

That's the only fix I have found. Better then restarting at least.