Windows, Bootcamp and MacAir

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bootcampWA, Mar 21, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

How's it going.

I've been thinking about installing Windows on Mac via Bootcamp, but as I started researching on how to do it I've realized that my MacAir doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. Herp Derp.

Is there anyway to get Windows on my Mac?

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. macrumors 6502a

You can do it with thumb drives.

I put a Win 7 ISO on one thumb drive and then put a blank thumb drive in the other USB port. Ran Bootcamp and everything installed fine.

4. macrumors 6502

Isn't the SuperDrive recognized in the boot screen?

5. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The MacBook Air doesn't have a SuperDrive.

6. macrumors 68030

Its very easy, you can use any external drive, thumb, or disk.

7. macrumors 6502

I meant the external SuperDrive specifically designed for the MBA.

8. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The OP obviously doesn't have one.

9. macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

It does if you buy one!

10. macrumors 6502

Then they should get one instead of making it more complicated by getting a Win7 .iso and a thumb drive.

11. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no need to buy a SuperDrive if there's another computer available that has one, especially if there's infrequent need for one.

12. macrumors regular

Yeah, and if they have another computer of any kind, making an .iso is much much easier and cheaper than buying a SuperDrive.

13. macrumors 6502

Don't shoot the messenger here, I only suggested an easy solution.

14. macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

I've installed Win7 on my Mini via a thumb drive. It took a little reading to get it going properly but here are the tips I learned. 1) Be sure to use a minimum 8gb thumb drive. The Win7 ISO is around 4gb but you need the extra space for drivers that Bootcamp will download in the process. 2) Be sure to mount (not just copy) the ISO to the drive or Bootcamp won't see it and let you proceed. 3) If you do use another computer to rip your own ISO, check this link on converting it: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20040121135301830

Feel free to PM me if you think I can answer any specific questions.

15. macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I do remember seeing a create win 7 usb bootable thumbdrive in the bootcamp assistant... so I would start with that. Dunno if its for lion only

16. macrumors newbie

with the macbook air 2010, booting from USB thumb drive is proving the most difficult. if anbody has any sucess in doing that besides going back to snow leopard or buying an optical disk drive, please post here. thanks

17. macrumors 68030

open boot camp assistant. Choose create usb bootable. Point to ISO file. Follow steps. Install. Success.

18. macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The drives are cheap. I had a Lenovo slim portable drive and it worked perfectly. You can pick up a portable USB drive for little. You are going to need to install software anyway.

19. bootcampWA, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012

thread starter macrumors newbie

ummmm.....the awkward moment when you are installing windows and you're stuck on the 'where do you want to install windows page' and can't do anything about it because you get the error message - "windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a part ion formatted as NTFS"

I have the empty USB in on the right .... and I've tried to quit and restart but I can't boot up mac os, i either get black screen with no Boot disc error message or I can try installing windows again.

please help!!!

wait.....I formatted the bootcamp drive.... seems to be working

it's alive. so how and where do I find the driver for wifi internet connection ?

----------

better question yet.... how can I go back to my mac os to use every time i boot up i get unto windows os

20. macrumors newbie

Hold down the option key on startup, then select your mac partition. If you want to be able to chose the OS every time you start up, you can get rEFIt instead of having to hold the option key down each time.

21. thread starter macrumors newbie

thank robbieduncan. my bad :D

so how can I get the camera, the network driver, and everything else to work accordingly?

22. macrumors regular

The drivers are on the thumb drive that Bootcamp created, in a folder called WindowsSupport. Run the setup.exe and everything will work (brightness, wifi, etc).

To reboot in to Mac, no need to press option at start up, just run the Boot Camp software in Windows and select the Mac drive... and hit restart.