Windows expert slams Panther

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Nov 14, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

comparing an existing OS to one that isn't going to see release for another 2 maybe 3 years.... :rolleyes: :p

do you agree?? disagree??

discuss...

Rinky dink link

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=7283

Full article below....

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

In a word...Bull****

I've used windows XP a lot and in terms of the way you use it is no different from windows 95/98/Me/NT or 2000. They are all much the same. They've just got more stable with each release (well except Me) and require even higher spec'd machines. Task based my arse....

3. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Windows XP is nothing more than NT6.0 that had some colorblind person design a new interface (no offense to those who are colorblind).

Task oriented? What the hell is that? If it were so advanced, you would think they would not ship it with so many virus transmission vectors open.

4. hacurio1 macrumors regular

Re: Windows expert slams Panther

Actually, I don’t believe somebody who doesn’t know what he is talking about, or even worst, somebody who only changes the wording of his website to accommodate partial statements. If I recall correctly, this FAQ isn’t new, I know I’ve read it before. When I say, “I’ve read it before,” I mean I’ve read this article several months ago, when panther wasn’t even released nor previewed. If I remember correctly, several months ago, when I read this for the first time, the author had “jaguar” instead of “panther” in the exact same phrase.

“Apple has implemented some basic desktop composition features in Mac OS X "Jaguar." But the basic problem with Mac OS X isn't going away: It's a classic desktop operating system that doesn't offer anything in the way of usability advancements over previous desktop operating systems. Today, Windows XP and its task-based interface are far superior to anything in Mac OS X. In the future, Longhorn will further distance Windows from OS X. From a graphical standpoint, there won't be any comparison.”

Then as soon as the preview for panther was given, he changed his wording to “panther” and hasn’t changed anything since then.

I don’t understand how he defines “usability Advancements;” moreover, I simply cant understand what does he mean when he writes, “(Panther) It’s a classic operating system that doesn’t offer anything new in the way of usability advancements over previous desktop operating systems.” Is he blind? Is he dumb? Or has he simply never used panther?

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Gents

Let me point something out...

"Apple has implemented some basic desktop composition features in Mac OS X "Panther." But the basic problem with Mac OS X isn't going away: It's a classic desktop operating system that doesn't offer anything in the way of usability advancements over previous desktop operating systems.

"Today, Windows XP and its task-based interface are far superior to anything in Mac OS X. In the future, Longhorn will further distance Windows from OS X. From a graphical standpoint, there won't be any comparison. As Microsoft revealed at the PDC 2003 conference, Longhorn is far more impressive technically than Panther."

All of that, with zero backup. There is no content here, no concrete.

It's throwaway.

It is unfortunate that people will still believe him, even though he's not really saying anything.

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I love how he says that in a few years Windows will be better than the version of OS X that is out right now. By then we will be on OS 10.5 or so. It's like Apple saying "We know that the G5 is only 2 GHz compared to the newer 3.4 GHz P4s, but that doesn't matter because they are still using Pentium 4 and in 5 years we will have 128-bit G8s running at 15 GHz, so obviously it is faster".

7. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

Longhorn is far more impressive technically than Panther

This simply silly. With Longhorns ship date of 2005 to 2006 (1-3 years away), it's funny to compare vapourware to a shipping product !

P.S. by "funny" I mean "STUPID"

8. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

...and with all the above said...this THREAD is offically closed. We can all move on and resume our normal lives.

~e

9. spinner macrumors regular

Interesting to hear what the windows "experts" are saying. Well I guess that's it then, lets pack it up and get out of here the Mac platform is officially dead. :rolleyes:

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Come now, Deep Thurrott makes his money convincing people that Windows is the right choice. He doesn't need to be accurate. He just has to be legal in his words.

Does the fact that he's never tried Mac OS X bother you? It shouldn't. He gets early releases of Windows so that he can show carefully selected parts in screenshots, never showing work that's bad or controversial.

He even goes out of his way to post on MacCentral telling the world that Windows is wonderful. He never seems to convince anyone that there aren't problems with viruses or security holes, though. :D

11. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I'm too lazy and disinterested in reading the whole article so my comments stem solely from the quotes above.

The guy is getting paid by somebody and it rhymes iwth Bicrosoft. I recently switched from windows and can say that XP is not that user-friendly. Some of the menus I used all the time (Windows Explorer) have been buried almost out of sight. Other features don't make intuitive sense. (Task bar grouping). And its still a virus magnet. These other things can be forgiven but to leave your software wide open for exploitation is unforgivable. It makes that "user advancements" useless if I am continually loading patches or rebooting from a crash. XP is MUCH more stable than 95, 98 etc. But its still is leakier than a collandar with a bladder control problem.
    I think that he is more than just microsoft fanboy... he's a paid microsoft fanboy.
    By the way, I am really getting tired of purported comparisons of Longhorn (due out in 2006) to a currently used operating system. WHy doesn't Apple respond by saying how much more usably advanced Panther is to Win 98. The timeline difference is about the same. Just my .02$

12. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Its name suggests it's doomed to fail

common longhorn?

It's a cow with giant horns :D ;)

The OS has potential, it's being build from the ground,rather than just being modified ,,,

BUT i would rather use an outdated mac running OS 9 then subject myself to a MS OS again.... shudders

13. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I had this same question, so I poked around a bit. It seems from this same guy's review of something MS calls "Activity Centers" (is this kindergarten?) a task-based interface is basically a "wizard" -- but there's one for everything that you want to do. Import photos? Wizard. Listen to music? Wizard. :rolleyes: Just one more step closer to being copper-top in an ooze-filled pod.

14. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I'm gonna play devil's advocate......

....I'm not a big MS fan by any means BUT LongHorn(dumb name) may turn out to be a great OS. Who's to say that just because XP isnt' up to par that this new OS being built from the gound up isn't going to kick ass. I love my Mac BUT I'm all for what works better. You never know...keep an open mind. We'll only REALLY know when it actually comes out.

~e

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I am not saying that Longhorn will be bad but it's downright moronic to make claims of it being superior to Mac OS when it is nearly 3 years from being an actual product. Apple is not going to stand still in that time. By then we will be using OS 10.5 or 10.6 even. By then we may have Quartz Hyper Extreme Squared, Exposé 3, Safari 4, etc. It's just not good practice to knock the competition for something just released because you are coming out with something "newer" a few years later. If so, Apple would be putting FAQs up on their website for why to switch: "Because in 10 years we will have G8s and computers that can calculate 100 trillion flops per second running a version of Mac OS so advanced we cannot tell you about it yet. What does Windows have? XP and Pentium 4's".

16. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The second scene on the 11-13-03 edition of AppleTurns, "Conciliatory Press RULES" there is another windows expert's vantage on the Mac OS.

17. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I try not to wish failure upon others, but I think that cautious pessimism is in order here -- especially since they're rebuilding from the ground up.

Apple didn't build from the ground up. Apple started with FreeBSD. Given that MS seems to have an awful time implementing Apple's innovations (note their mention of a "dock-like Sidebar" :rolleyes: ), I just don't think that Longhorn is going to go off with a bang -- especially since it seems that all Windows applications will have to be rewritten (or at least recompiled).

MS doesn't have the corporate culture to really go from blank slate to whopping success.

18. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Actually, he's claiming XP is superior in its present form to OSX and that Longhorn (if it ever ships) will graphically be lightyears ahead of OSX.

So he likes the Windows way and gets paid to like the Windows way and gets paid to write that he likes the Windows way. Now can he just go away? :D

There's no accounting for taste.

But people who forge and determine the trends and style of the world are doing so on OSX. People who are figuring out how to make the least expensive systems using the cheapest materials and quirkiest software are doing so on Windows. There's room for both. But there's only one in my room. - j

19. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Who actually uses the "task-based" features of XP? I've always found them to be the most annoying and worst part of the OS itself. The very fact that XP seems to be nothing but a task-based metaphor to OS X is its biggest flaw in my eyes. It's just funny to me that that is the biggest reason the guy gives for XP being "far superior" to OS X. I'd much rather having OS X set it up automatically in the background to going through a Wizard and when I need to set something up, I like doing it myself than using an unintuitive Wizard.

20. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I e-mailed him a large e-mail with many technical points (I have used XP/Longhorn and use Mac OS X daily) and this was his reply:

By using I think he means using them as a space heater?

21. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I'll say it, for one. Not because it's Windows, but because I've been paying attention to the specific Longhorn features they've been touting, and looking at the early screenshots.

First, Microsoft is taking advantage of its settlement with Netscape to finally and completely integrate Internet Explorer into the OS. Bye, bye browser choice. And hello, Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish. The web standards people aren't just being paranoid when they voice concern as to what this will mean for every non-MS browser out there.

Second, widespread use of .NET, which as far as I have been able to tell is nothing more than Microsoft's answer to Java. Again, integrate with the OS, crush out the competition. Thanks to the laissez-faire attitude of the DoJ, they get away with both of these.

Activity centers = a Wizard for everything and everything in its Wizard. Unless they've improved by several orders of magnitude, this is not good. I can't count the number of times a wizard has done something I didn't want it to, or tied options I don't want with the options I do want. Why not simply make the settings as easy to reach and understand as OS X's System Preferences? Wizards are just a way to disguise how overcomplicated and difficult to configure Windows (and Office) is. And I use both every day, so this is not an uninformed Machead talking. There are Wizards you just learn to stay away from.

Oh, and the screenshots. Don't they understand the concept of screen real estate? Look at that sidebar thing...in many of the featured shots, the entire top space was dedicated to a picture, for no reason I could figure out. And they seem to have increased the size of the title bar with buttons and widgets I can't even remotely guess the use of. More features does not have to mean more clutter.

I've been using Windows since 3.1, up through 3.11, 95, 98, and 2KPro. And I have to say that it annoys me more with every revision, and that Longhorn does not look to reverse this trend from what information is available.

22. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

If Longhorn is going to be groundbreaking or great, it will be a first for Microsoft.

Originality is not their strong suit and leading requires originality.

History shows us that Longhorn will be bloated, busy, cartoonish, condescending and over-controlling. It will uphold the image of Windows designers as having no idea what makes an OS great even as they poorly copy the best parts of OSX.

Does anyone remember the episode of the Simpsons where Homer designed his own car? That's what Longhorn is going to be.

Attached Files:

23. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

As a testament to Mac OS X's superiority, my family runs Mac OS X at home and my friend's family Windows at home. In both cases, we were the computer geeks in the house and fixed problems when they occurred. Roughly every other weekend he has to fix problems with the home computer, and in nearly three months absolutely nothing has gone wrong with the Macintosh at our house. Makes my life much easier. :D

24. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

Longhorn makes viruses = revenue

Good reasoning :D .
    Instead of making OS more secure and robust by doing proper design work, MS decides to create new revenue stream.