Windows F%@$%^& Sucks

Discussion in 'Community' started by Cooknn, May 9, 2005.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I never knew how bad Windows blew until I got a Mac with OS X. What sucks is I still have to support two networks (two jobs) based on that crappy OS. That's not supposed to be my main gig though. I just get stuck with it because I'm the only one that (usually) knows how to fix the freaking problems.

Tonight I arrive at my evening job ready to gen' the ad for this weekends newspaper, and instead I spent most of the night trying to figure out why Microsoft's Print Spooler keeps crashing on one of the PC's. AAAHHHHH! I wish I could snap my finger and turn all these PC's into Mac's :(

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apparently there was some guy once who wished a pretty similar thing. He thought it was hell wicked 'til he turned his family into Macs, that kinda sucked... Midas, or someone?

On second thoughts, it might have been gold... Meh, same thing. ;)

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well, we are a nation built by the lowest bidder. And Wintel is generally the lowest bidder.

And sometimes it sucks... badly.

Problem with some of the low bids, is the service/maintenance problems you have after you are handed the keys. :p

4. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

just think, this the same way we make the space shuttle

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Windows is a pain... I cannot begin to count the hours I've spend trying to fix other people's PCs running some version of Windows... :mad:

Luckily I've gotten a couple of regulars over on Macs, and now the phone rings considerably less... :D

~ Steve Buscemi in Armageddon. :cool:

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Why, oh why, does Windows XP take a good 60-120 seconds to get an IP address when it's set to use DHCP and no DHCP server is available?

Windows won't let you modify something that's in use; the real killer is that Windows' definition of when something is in use is much, much broader than the Mac OS definition. For example, even if something as innocuous as Winamp's open directory dialog being last used on the directory you want to delete/rename is the case, Windows won't let you! The only solution I've found is to temporarily quit Winamp, do whatever I want to do, then restart it.

7. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

You expect us to disagree, i had the BSOD conecting to the internet this morning sometimes it works sometimes it don't, live with it or move to OS X. That is what i will be doing soon

8. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Not a great topic for debate on a Mac forum eh? Pretty much of a late night rant. I really need to stay away from the keyboard after I've had a few beers. I probably should have posted over in the drunk thread :eek:

9. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Well, duh!

Seriously, though. Welcome to the Mac community. Sure is easy here. I've said exactly the kinds of things you are - and still do. Got a Dull, er, Dell in the house to baby along...

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Then it's operated by a low bid company and overseen by government employees making even less than the low-bid company's employees.

11. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

windows has always been garbage since i've used it and it's pretty safe to say will always be garbage :) .

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Everyone deserves a drunken anti-Windows rant now and again. I hated supporting them when I worked tech support. 'Course, back in those days, os 8 could be a bitch too (I already have OpenTransportLib installed!), so I was just fed up with computers. Then OS X came and kept me from ditching them entirely :)

14. mrdeep macrumors member

AOL *
    Dell Media Experience
    Dell Picture Studio
    Dell Support 5.0
    Earthling Setup Files
    Get High Speed Internet
    Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album 5
    Jasc Paint Shop Pro Studio, Dell Edition
    Mcafee Personal Firewall Plus
    Mcafee Security Center
    Mcafee Virus Scan *
    Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition Installer
    Microsoft Plus Photo Story 2 LE
    Motem Event Monitor
    Modem Helper *
    Modem On Hold
    MusicMatch Jukebox
    My Way Search Assistant
    NetZero Installers
    Photo Click
    Qualxserve Service Agreement
    Quickbooks Simple Start Special Edition
    * = requested restart

This is the list of software I have to uninstall when we got a new dell computer at work. Some of these programs are just demos, I guess it's easier to make a cheap computer when you sell them with advertising.

Amongst my other wonderful windows experiences TODAY, may I include our Windows 2003 Server deciding to close all open files on the network in a very ungraceful way and a laptop that would BSOD every time you tried to change the resolution.

"Disk or Network Error", how I loathe you.

15. 36183 Guest

can a mod please send this thread to the wasteland. yes windows sucks, blah blah. but this thread is stupid.

16. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Hehe :p One more hour until I have to try and tackle this - again:
    Spoolsv.exe - Application Error: The instruction at "0x77fcc2c0" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be written.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you dont like the thread then dont read it or post in it, simple as that, i could say that many other posts on the forums are stupid, but they just arent for me..... :rolleyes: :cool:

18. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

But I like Ramen! :(

J/K

Seriously, posts like this come and go. It is better to just read and move on if the issue troubles you. Too many people on here reply to posts they should stay away from, and get themselves or others more worked up then they need to.

I have (or had) some comments I wanted to add to this thread (no I will not tell anyone), but I decided it wasn't worth the debate. I am going to save my energy for better things, like Ramen!!

19. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I had no idea what you were talking about - until l found this. :p BTW - I solved my Windows dilemma tonight. Format C: (after moving all the user files to a new PC that just happend to be unoccupied).

Time to walk away from this thread - I don't even want to get started again :eek:

20. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

haha!

It is my mission to bring confusion and caos to all threads! Well not really I don't want to get banned, or make anyone mad ! ;)

Congrats on the fix!

I need to do that on my relec Windows box at home so I can get it up and folding again

21. Frisco macrumors 68020

Last year I made an eerie similar post about how Windows sucks and I was drunk at the time too! It would appear that alcohol and Windows don't mix. Or is it that Windows drives people to drink? Windows should make users take a breathalyzer test before it logs you in. Then it truly would be Winblows!

That should be Apple's new slogan, "Buy a Mac--stay sober!"

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

so you take the breathalyzer so the computer knows that you are drunk thus allowing more and more adware and viruses into your system and allowing to finally not get frustrated because you're too wasted to care right? ;)