Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chilipie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Englandshire
I've had Windows running via Boot Camp for months now, and apart from a couple of blue screens all's been dandy.

I stuck a 1 gig stick of RAM in this morning (purloined from my dad's iMac), booted into OS X and all was well - system profiler recognised it and everything seemed to work.

Then feeling the urge to go frag in Battlefield, I rebooted and selected the Windows partition. The XP loading screen came up, but that was as far as it got - the screen went black, although the fan was still going and it made a tuning-off noise when I held the button down.

I repeated this a couple of times, but to no avail - choosing safe mode or last working settings made naff all difference.

I'd rather not have to reinstall Windows, but it'd be nice just to get it working again.

Thanks for any help.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Try switching the slots the RAM is in. I worked on an HP laptop a few months back that I added RAM to. It would stop after getting through POST. Switched the RAM around and haven't had an issue out of it since. If that doesn't work then I would try a RAM tester like mentioned above.

chilipie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Englandshire
I downloaded and ran Rember, which found no errors. Time to swop the sticks around I guess; I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.