windows file sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Choppaface, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Choppaface macrumors 65816

I have a mac running 10.2.1 and a PC running XP connected via a router. I set up a share on my PC, and then try to connect to it in OSX, except when I double click on the mounted share, the window starts to open, then disappears, and the share icon disappears too. it also appears to leave me logged into the share, just with no means of accessing it. this worked perfectly for me in 10.2.0. what's wrong?

2. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm also having no luck going the other way (running win file sharing on my mac and connecting via my PC)

:\

time to go back to 10.2 I guess?

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

is the OS X firewall on?? that can be a major player in networking difficulties.

also, try joining the specific workgroup of your PC by changing the SMB wokgroup using the Directory Access application in the Utilities.

4. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816

firewall is off and directory access didn't do anything

i booted into my 10.2.0 installation and I also couldn't connect to my PC, so that part might not be b/c of osx. turning on windows file sharing on my mac and connecting to it on my pc worked with 10.2.0. still doesnt work under 10.2.1. WTF? o_O

booting into that 10.2 fresh install and seeing how fast it was compared to my 10.2 update (a *LOT* smoother) inspired me to reinstall 10.2 as my main thingy. I still don't understand why my 10.2 update is so sluggish in comparison. I've worked on 450 cubes running 10.1.5 that are faster...I just got jitter in the dock while the terminal was opening up...that is rediculous

5. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816

well i upgraded the firmware on my router, and the share appears to be set up just fine. I'm getting those -36 and -5000 errors that are partially (but not helpfully) described in the knowledge base thingy on apple's site. doesn't anybody have any ideas?