Windows File Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by brentandkelley, Mar 15, 2003.

1. brentandkelley macrumors newbie

Hey, I've got a Powerbook G3 (OSX) and a PC (WIN 98) and I was trying to connect them together using the ethernet cable. I haven't been able to so far. I searched some threads and saw that I need to go to System Prefs>Sharing> and then check windows file sharing. Well I did this and after I check it it just unchecks itself. I can't get it to stay on. How can I get it to stay on? And also how do I get them to be able to share files? Thanks in advance. God Bless.

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

3. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

True about the crossover cable. In addition, I have always had the most luck when I make the PC share a folder and then have the Mac connect to it. To do this, on the PC, go into Control Panels>Network, then check the box that says (something like) "Allow others to connect to folders on this computer". You will need to restart. Once restarted, create a folder (maybe on the desktop). Right click the folder, go to "Sharing", and then share that folder.

Once that is set, you can (in OS X) just do "Go>Connect to Server". It should find the other computer (as long as you have the proper cable).

I am going from memory, and may have gotten a detail or two off by a word or two, but this is typically how I do it, and it has always worked fine.

Chris

4. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

search the apple knowledge base for pc file sharing. It has solutions that are specific to basically any sharing situation, so it will definitely be able to help you. I say this because, while we sit here and ramble off the steps from memory, leaving room for err, apple has all the steps written down on their website. This is how I learned to network my mac and pcs.

Click for Apple Knowledge Base

5. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Also WIN98 could be a problem... If you can get ahold of XP I STRONGLY suggest it

6. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Win98 is no problem. I use it several times a week using the method I described (which you won't find at Apple.com).

Chris

7. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

strange... look what i found in about 10 sec. and this is the first one i clicked on... there were many moreCLICK ME

8. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Yeah. Not the method I described.

As a matter of fact, the part I knew wouldn't be documented at Apple is not:
    Not strange at all.

I am sure you can find the exact instructions I was referring to at M$'s Knowledge Base. I am also sure my instructions will work.

And Win98 is no problem. ;)

cjm

9. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

A tad defensive? No offence, but i would use Apple's instructions... they worked for me.. Relax... I was just giving him a solution that is documented.

Come on... look at your instructions and then look on that page... pretty close. :D

10. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Not sure what you're reading as defensive. The instructions at the page you are pointing to bear no resemblance to the ones I mentioned. Mine deal with the PC side almost entirely--any moron can connect the Mac to a PC with shared folders enabled. The only instruction in the Apple Knowledge Base that deals with this is the one that tells you to consult the M$ Knowledge Base. Pretty different.

"Relax" is a funny word--typically designed to piss people off. It probably would have worked with someone who was worked up.

Relax. You're just not reading either set of instructions very well. When you do, you will see that you have gotten it wrong.

Chris

p.s., this thread has gotten off topic.

11. steeleclipse macrumors 6502