Windows folding

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by stoid, Aug 27, 2003.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Is the windows folding like the mac in that a user must be logged in, because if not, my university has a lab of about 50 Pentiums that go totally unused all night, and are not heavily used during the day time. If we can get something worked out, I'm sure that this would give us the boost we need!

If nothing else, maybe they could be set to auto log-in a half hour after the library closes for the night, and log out just before it opens.

Well, here's to hoping! :rolleyes:

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I am folding on two XP machines and you must be logged on or else it won't work. Not only that, but if you switch users without logging off, it causes the client to freeze and then being forced to start over from the beginning. I've lost about 4 70+ point WUs that were nearly finished because of that.

3. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

As a general note to all would be advisors, here's a little info on the campus setup. It is a total campus wide setup whereas you log in as your distinct user from any machine on campus. From there any printing or other paided school services are automatically billed to your account. So it looks like we may have to go for an auto nightly log in and an auto log out possibility if we want to harvest these unused CPU cycles. I am new to the windows world, so I'll need a little help in how to set that up, if it is indeed possible.

4. bertinman macrumors 6502

I don't think it would work.

I am not the only school lab manager here, and I think the others will agree with me. The computer admins most likely do not give you sufficient rights to set any auto login or logouts. And, you will not be able to setup any service on the computer to run remotely or invisible without the consent of the lab manager. Plus, these computers will most likely be 'wiped' or reinstalled every few days. Your best bet is to become friends with the lab assistant or manager and see if you can persuade them into installing the client for you (also, getting them to put the points to our team...would be hard if they do not like macs).