Windows fonts in OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mojo67821, May 30, 2006.

1. Mojo67821 macrumors regular

I have a ton of fonts on my old Dell PC and was wondering if those files are universal (.ttf files I believe). I would like to install them on my MBP if they are.

Are they? And if so, can anyone tell me how to install fonts on my Mac, I'm new to the Apple universe.

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

As far as I know that shouldn't be a problem. :)

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, I've carried over some of my old favorite fonts for GIMPShop work. (Avatars & signatures) I've had some of them since 2001 and they work just fine on OS X.

4. Mojo67821 thread starter macrumors regular

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

You should just be able to double click on the .ttf file and FontBook will open and ask if you want to install it. Otherwise open FontBook and it will allow you to add the fonts.

6. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

If you have a ton of fonts and plan to install them then I highly suggest you use a font manager instead of font book. Installing a high volume of fonts on osx can cause major problems if they are not properly managed.

Some sugested font management tools are

http://www.extensis.com

http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorerX

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Yup, the others are right.

In fact TrueType fonts (.ttf) is an outline font standard originally developed by Apple Computer in the late 1980s. More on Wikipedia

8. Mojo67821 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, I just used linotype to import all of them and manage the ones that I have. I had over 100 megabytes in fonts to import, so it helped a lot. I haven't used any yet, but it looked as if everything went smoothly.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

FWIW, the linked Wikipedia page is far and away the worst I have ever seen in the Wikipedia project. Most of what is written there is wrong or misleading. For instance, Microsoft did not develop TrueImage, it bought the PostScript clone from its original developers. Apple developed TrueType because Adobe refused its request to accomodate the onscreen display of Type 1 fonts. Adobe Type Manager was released before TrueType, but it was a response to Apple's TrueType initiative. TrueType was an integral part of System 7. However, it was available to Mac users as a System 6 INIT prior to the release of System 7.

I echo gekko513 on this point: MacOS X renders TrueType, TrueType GX, Type 1, Type 1 GX, and OpenType fonts stored in either Windows or Mac format without conversion.