Windows Gaming Performance and Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mattsi, Dec 2, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2007
    Hi folks,

I've been trying to decide which video card upgrade to get and am a bit torn between the 8800GT and the Radeon 3870.

I've got a 1st gen Mac Pro with the ATI X1900. Most of the games I play on XP under Boot Camp are RPG's- LoTRO, Mass Effect, and hopefully Fallout 3. On the Mac side, I play WoW heavily and the performance has been good, but hoping to boost it a bit.

From what I gather, the 8800 is stronger for games yet weaker in Core video performance. Since I don't really use any Pro apps on OS X (just iLife stuff for the family), would the 8800 be my best bet?

I saw the BareFeats tests comparing the 8800GT and Radeon 3870, but since I don't play any of the games they tested, I'm unclear as to how stuff like LOTRO or Fallout 3 would perform.

Has anyone tried these games under the 8800GT and/or 3870?

Thanks for any advice!
  2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2008
  3. macrumors regular

Sep 8, 2006
    Let me know what you go with. i play LOTRO quite a bit and the 1900 works fine, but man, i'm tired of the fan always on. really want something better. and i don't think i have AA turned on either.