Windows Genuine Advantage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OutThere, Jan 26, 2005.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

2. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Wow, that's really going to kick themselves in the knakers.

edit: shame they're going to allow free virus/security patches. They really could have made a huge number of switchers, rather than a lot of switchers.

3. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Whatta pain in the a$$. The IT crew in my office is not pleased with this at all.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

eeerrrr...why? Your office run dodgy copies of Windows? Besides, things are always slightly different for business users. Updates are managed & deployed, it's not just a windows update free-for-all on every desktop :eek:

5. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

I've heard from a few people I know that some of their VLM keys which I know for a fact are legit are being turned down on their authentication site.

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I believe that you can still get updates though the automatic update utility, just you can't go to the update website no more without registering your copy.

7. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I think it's more the added overhead of validating your legal copies, although I agree that large enterprise shops probably get handled differently than described.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't like this idea at all. It gives me all the more reason to continue using Windows in a permanently offline state, never connected to the Internet, like I do now. If I want updates, I'll just bypass the Windows Update service completely (Microsoft has other places to get updates that work with non-MSIE/Win browsers).

9. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

Good thinking, as it takes an unpatched copy of WinXP 10 minutes to go down with viruses and spyware after being plugged into the internet. (No user interaction required). :rolleyes:

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....while schemes like that are a pain in the a** and I don't like seeing stuff like that happen, in a way I can't blame them for clamping down - the level of piracy has obviously gone way beyond their tolerable threshold.

This kind of thing should also be a lesson to the Mac crowd too. I am sure Apple has level of piracy they deem "tolerable" (they are not stupid enough to think they'll ever eliminate it totally) and while it may be a higher level than M$ it is a line we don't want to see crossed. Already there are signs of it too - like serial numbers for iWork.....so without being too preachy etc...I just say...don't ever force Apple's hand and have us end up with schemes like Microsoft....oh yeah!

11. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

yea this sucks ... well i have a OEM version of xp and i have to say it sucks badly. for this fact ... i have to practically use IE to install these stupid updates...

12. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Good.

Whether you like them or not, they are a business. I used to use pirated software, then realized what a stupid example I was, so i deleted EVERY piece of it. Now I feel so much better. How do you feel about Apple losing money to software pirates? It's the exact same, not just because Apple may make better products.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

14. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

I agree. Stealing software isn't a pretty picture. For one stealing is just clearly wrong and for another how will companies be able to release better software that is more efficient to use with little income? It usually takes money to make quality. Why do you think macs are so expensive?

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I would much rather bypass this whole thing by accessing the Download Center with my Mac. If Microsoft disables this access (by doing something that requires MSIE for Windows, such as using an ActiveX control), I'll be crying foul and limiting my downloads of Windows updates to whatever Microsoft decides to allow me access to.

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I agree that stealing software is wrong. But "be able to release better software that is more efficient to use with little income" does not seem to describe Microsoft much, on all three points.