Windows going to copy OS X yetttt again?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SilvorX, May 12, 2004.

1. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

looks like Windows longhorn is going to have an audio/video preview feature within windows explorer (windows crappy finder thingy for ppl who dont know what that is), but they always do everything all bloated looking, which makes us mac users laugh at windows more and more :p

Attached Files:

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

lol...advanced. at least this time, they're going to be less than a decade behind (maybe).

btw, please never compare "windows explorer" to Finder ever again. :p

3. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

who said i was COMPARING it :p

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I know, I know. It's just that it's...Windows Explorer. It's gotta be one of the most poorly designed operating system components ever.

5. dragula53 macrumors regular

xp has preview

xp has preview in explorer

not a new thing

it might have even had it before os x *gasp*.. not sure if xp was in development before os x was. hmm

moo

6. dragula53 macrumors regular

oh

looked it up

os x was released in march 2001, xp was in october of 2001.

not that 10.0 should have been considered a final release.. but that is still.. 7 months behind. not 10 years.

not counting time when the preview in finder/explorer idea was conceived, because I don't feel like looking that up.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Windows 2000 has it too.

So, Windows had it first.

scem0

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Normally I would just agree being a Mac centric person.

However, Windows Explorer has many nice features. For example, right click features. Another, renaming files/folders within the Save/Open dialogs.

So while I like X a whole lot better, Windows Explorer has it's own unique features as well. And I wish some of these neat features would migrate to X as well.

Sushi

9. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

Actually, if you did some fudging and had WMP7 (or 8, i can't remember which worked with Win98se) you could do it in Win 98SE too.

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, I just feel like it holds your hand too much...Kinda like the search feature in Windows. It asks too many questions. Do I want to search the internet? No, if I wanted to search the internet, I would have gone to Google. Do I want to search for a movie file? Or maybe a text file? If it's important for me to tell you, then I will. Otherwise, just search for a file. Is that too much to ask?

It's just silly.

11. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Grinning, the Finder becomes more Explorer-like with every release. Soon you'll be able to right-click and cut/paste within the file system... well it would be nice anyway.

Attached Files:

12. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

true and not true. the finder is becoming a streamlined tool. it's not just for good looks anymore!

in panther, i have found that my navigation time has been cut many many times. my overall productivity increased, just because of new organization

in future releases, the finder is going to be unbeleiveable... cant' wait!

(on a side note, i would love to have OEM-provided features, one that i just discovered thanks to another thread is SideTrack (for notebook users) and some other utilities that enhance funcitonality that apple decided we didn't need. i dont' like that, that's my only gripe about OS X)

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Oh, don't get me going on how Winders is so screwed up! :)

Like you mention, the search feature is totally stupid. Winders gives the users flexibility. Yeah right. BS answer to a poorly designed OS.

However, since we were commenting on Winders Explorer, in all fairness, there are some good points, albiet a few. Again, some of which I wish would make it into OS X.

Overall, I will take X.3 and later versions over Mac 9 and before and any Winders systems.

Sushi

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

surewindows is bad in some parts but the explorer?...

i just learned that on a apple you can't rename,delete other files in a save/load dialog... which i would miss more than a preview..
    can you make at least new folders ?

15. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

yes (since OS 6.x or earlier)

16. Versello macrumors regular

You do get the option to turn it off the hand-holding.

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Apple caught up with one feature they had long been missing - the ability to click on a filename in a Save dialog box to select that name, rather than having to type it again.

18. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Huh. Search in Win 2K isn't that dumbed down...It has three boxes and amounts to Search for these files or folders, containing this text, and look in here. Must be an XP thing.

The first thing I always do in windows anyway is set it to show me Explorer windows in tree view, not spatial. It's much more usable that way, for the same reason iTunes is: Containers on the left, contents on the right. Navigate between the listed containers (directories) and see the contents (files) in the selected container. I actually find this more usable than the column view in Finder, because navigation between levels of directories requires less mousing around, usually.

Oh, and I can remember having the right-click option to preview music and pictures for quite a while, and we ran Win 95 here before they rolled out win 2K. So the ability to preview isn't new, it's just putting it graphically in front of the user so it's obvious that's fairly recent.

19. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Yea, I really like it when I try to delete videos and Windows trys to play the preview at the same time that I am trying to delete to stupid file. It always causes a sharing violation, always!

It would be better if the preview was played directly on the file and not over on the side bar. Personally I hate the preview feature, because it will cause slowdowns when looking through my video folder, so I have it turned off.

20. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

That's pre-XP