Windows HD in OSX name is WINDOWS HD... Stupid annoyance!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by advocation, Jan 3, 2007.

1. advocation macrumors member

Sorry if the title wasnt very clear, I couldnt think of a decent way to describe it for the title!

Basically, I have Windows installed via Bootcamp. In OSX, it shows up two hard drives on the desktop, one called Macintosh HD and one called WINDOWS HD.
    The thing is that I want the windows hd to be called Windows HD, rather than WINDOWS HD. Because when its in caps it just bugs me!

Whenever I change the name however, after a restart it goes back to all caps..

Is there a way to change this?

2. Gordy macrumors 6502a

Change it in windows..

3. Tinlad macrumors member

I presume it's formatted as FAT32?

FAT32 volume labels can only be upper-case I'm afraid, which is why it's switching back to 'WINDOWS HD'. Just call it 'XP', or something similar that doesn't look wrong in capitals. If you really want it to have 'Windows HD', you'll need to format the drive as NTFS and change the name in Windows (Although you'll lose the ability to write to the drive from OS X).

4. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

i don't know about afraid, but i know you are wrong. good one... only caps...

no really, boot into windows, right click on the hard drive, come down to rename, enter whatever you want, click ok. less filling, tastes great.