Windows HDD on Mac OS X

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cypher, Mar 29, 2005.

1. cypher macrumors member

I've heard that panther can read windows formatted(NTFS) HDD's. I have an external HDD that I use with my PC but when I hook it up to my powerbook it doesn't show up. An error message shows up saying that os x has found a disk which it cannot read. When I open disk utility I can see it there but nthign happens when i try to mount it. What could be the problem??

Thanks!

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

If you read the list of stuff that the latest Panther build will give, NTFS is listed. I guess there was support, but there were problems so it was pulled during an update. Its now listed as a future update to Panther, which should be coming in about a week or two. http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/03/20050322220911.shtml

3. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) works with local NTFS-formatted volumes. The volume will be read-only. Mac OS X 10.3.8 has improved support for reading these drives.

You could try and mount the drive manually, use the disk utility and select the NTFS volume and click on mount. It should now be available on your desktop.

I have put a NTFS drive in a USB 2.0 Box and connected it to my G5, and it read all the files that I wanted.

4. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Here is the info on Mac OS X 10.3.8 update

Click here