Windows Icon

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by combatcolin, Oct 1, 2005.

1. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Quick one, with a windows icon there is a blue background to the text underneath it.

Is there any way to get rid of this blue background?

The ugly blue wodge underneath every icon looks awful on my lovely big 24" Dell monitor.

Thanks

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

A friend showed me an app called GUI something or other. Removed the arrow on shortcuts and allowed you to customize the Windows GUI. Let me look around and see if I can find it for you...

3. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Well, windows can show either a solid color or background image from the display settings. If you say, change your desktop picture to something that is mostly white, then you'll see the blue background behind the name. A quick fix is to also turn the background color (selected in the same window you set the background image) to white.

Of course, background images are rarely one color, but this helps some. You can use white or black would be safe colors to use as a background color, moreso than any color.

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I know TweakXP can do it.

5. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Incase you were not aware, this is a mac forum NOT a Windows one!!

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

In case you weren't aware, people ask about Windows and Linux and a lot more, though Mac Applications is a poor place for this certain thread. :)

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Assuming you are running Windows XP...

Right click on My Computer, and select Properties. Go to the Advanced tab, and hit Settings under Performance. The first tab in the new window Performance Options should be Visual Effects. Select Custom, and make sure "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is ticked.

8. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Didn't work.

Oh well.

And as to the placement of this tread, it was either Mac OS or Mac applications - can't win either way!!

We should have a "PC" problem section, actually maybe not; it would be far too busy and kill the server. ;)

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

edesignuk's advice should work but you can't have it ticked if the icons are locked into place for reasons only known by El Diable himself. :confused:

10. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I changed the overall colour to Silver, dosn't look as garish as the default blue and goes better with the silver aspects of my Dell 24".

11. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Maybe you'd get better suggestions if you were using a primarily windows forum and not a mac one.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you look above someone already made a "smart" suggestion such as this. If you can't help, there really is no need to tell someone who is obviously an established member that this is a Mac forum :rolleyes:

13. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Thanks ED :)

And DaftUnion, if we had a poll of all Macrumors members a large % will have both a Mac and a PC.

Me included

Although it is an old 1st gen iMac and cash for a PM is a bit short as im buying a house.

14. Maedus macrumors regular

But then he would have to deal with them stinky PC users. Ewwww. :p

It is often easier to ask one's friends first before asking strangers. It was possible that somebody here knew the answer already since many also use PCs for various reasons.

Edit: Which combatcolin has already mentioned. I guess I shouldn't start a reply to a topic and get distracted and read another thread before hitting submit.

15. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin