Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lenalein11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
Hey Everyone,

I hope there isnt already a thread to this topic but i couldn't find one.
I am trying to install windows via bootcamp. I have successfully created a partition with the NTFS-Format and started the installation.
At the end of the installation it says the mac will restart a couple of times. On the apple support page it said "A screen should eventually appear asking you to establish a user account in Windows 7." This doesn't happen though. Instead, the mac only restarts once and boots OS X normally.
I tried simply booting Windows, but this only got me to a black screen. It apparently hasn't been installed properly.

Does anyone know whats wrong and how I can solve this problem?

Thank you so much in advance!
Lenalein

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hey Everyone,

I hope there isnt already a thread to this topic but i couldn't find one.
I am trying to install windows via bootcamp. I have successfully created a partition with the NTFS-Format and started the installation.
At the end of the installation it says the mac will restart a couple of times. On the apple support page it said "A screen should eventually appear asking you to establish a user account in Windows 7." This doesn't happen though. Instead, the mac only restarts once and boots OS X normally.
I tried simply booting Windows, but this only got me to a black screen. It apparently hasn't been installed properly.

Does anyone know whats wrong and how I can solve this problem?

Thank you so much in advance!
Lenalein
Don't try creating the NTFS partition yourself. Use only Boot Camp Assistant. Creating a FAT32 partition yourself and reformatting it as NTFS will only lead to all sorts of problems.

Remove Boot Camp and then use Boot Camp Assistant to start all over again. Don't venture out of BCA.

lenalein11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
Don't try creating the NTFS partition yourself. Use only Boot Camp Assistant. Creating a FAT32 partition yourself and reformatting it as NTFS will only lead to all sorts of problems.

Remove Boot Camp and then use Boot Camp Assistant to start all over again. Don't venture out of BCA.

I did try only using BC before. F
-- First I let BBc create the partition itself. I then had the problem, that during the installation, it said that it couldnt use the Partition because it was not formatted as a NFTS partition.

-- I tried formatting it with the windows installer a couple of times, but nothing changed. I then used the windows installer and typed this code:

diskpart
select disk 0 (assuming 0 is the disk where you created the bootcamp partition)
select partition 4 (assuming 4 is your bootcamp partition)
format fs=NTFS label="Windows 8" (I didn’t use QUICK)
exit
exit

but it still wasnt able to use the partition.

-- I then returned to OSx and tried using Disk Utility to format the Partition to NTFS, but disk utility said it was aready formatted to NTFS.

-- Then I downloaded the trial version of paragon. Apparently macs can't actually create partitions formatted to NTFS so you need this driver. This driver creates the extra option in disk utility to format to "windows NT Filesystem". I created a new partition using this option, so i didn't actually reformat a fat32 partition.

-- This seemed to have solved the problem becaue I was finally able to select the partition to install windows.
-- The Installation worked perfectly and at the end it said it would restart a couple times. It restarted and booted my mac. Windows is not installed, although there is definately less space on the partition.

Please, does anyone have any idea what I can do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.