Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adi_zaqwan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2016
Malaysia
Hi Guys,

Problem:
Im trying to install windows 10. Since superdrive is failing, i change it to SSD. So installing Windows trough superdrive ODD/ the easy way (bootcamp) is not possible to install.

My mac :
Model no : A1312
iMac 27 i7 3.4ghz
8gb Ram (4+4)
osX - El Capitan
AMD Radeon HD 6970M (2gb)
SSD - 256Gb [disk1] (change from superdrive slot) - El Capitan.
HDD - 1Tb [disk0] (stock) - Data only, would like to install windows to this hdd.

What i did :

1st try
1. I tried to install windows directly using partition made by BCA but my imac does not support any usb installation. So i change the plist and make a bootable usb installer without making any partition using bootcamp.
2. I manage to install windows 10 to the 1Tb HDD by wiping all data and use "command prompt" while on windows installer to change the MBR to GPT.
3. After installation complete, there are too many issue faced. OS is not running smoothly, ram cap at 2.5gb, No sound, bluetooth keyboard and mouse not working even though bootcamp driver has been installed.

2nd try
1. Wipe the whole 1Tb disk again to guid journaled.
2. Install daemon tool and mount the windows 10.iso and proceed with the original BCA and create a BOOTCAMP partition with it.
3. After the partitioning, iMac restarts but it only says "no bootable device" error.
4. Tried to boot up using the EFI bootable USB Windows 10 installer. however it wont let me install because need to change the MBR to GPT issue. Since changing it trough "cmd" will leads the same result as the first try, so i just exit the installer and go back to El Cap.

3rd try
1. Did not wipe the disk from previous try, i try using the virtualbox method as in this link :
http://huguesval.com/blog/2012/02/installing-windows-7-on-a-mac-without-superdrive-with-virtualbox/

2. After done all the procedures and cloning image to BOOTCAMP partition, i restart the machine but windows or bootcamp is not visible in my boot up list so i install rEFInd.
3. After rEFInd installed successfully trough mac recovery (to bypass SIP), windows shows up in rEFInd boot up menu as Windows (legacy).
4. When choosing Windows (legacy), the screen goes black. Only that there is a blinking cursor. I waited like for 30 mins but windows still not booting up.

4th try
1. I plugged back in the bootable USB Windows 10 installer and run with a few command as below :
bootrec
a. /fixmbr
b. /fixboot
c. /rebuildbcd

2. all commands are success. however after restarting the machine, the results are still the same. Blank screen with blinking cursor.
3. Reset PRAM SMC, i lost rEFInd boot menu but windows shows up on osX boot up menu. Tried to boot up but the results still the same. Blank and blinking cursor.

5th try
1. Boot up to El Cap
2. Open BCA and restore drive to single partition.
3. i thought this might be a Windows 10 issue, so i mount windows 7 in BCA and recreate BOOTCAMP partition.
4. Boot up El cap again.
5. Create a Windows 7 image using the same method as i did on the 3rd try.
6. Clone Windows 7 image to Bootcamp.
7. Restart
8. Windows did not show up in the boot up menu
9. boot into osX recovery, install rEFInd & restart
10. windows (legecy) shows up in the rEFInd menu, but when i try to boot it up, it still shows a blank screen with blinking cursor.

I almost give up already.. Hope anyone in here can help me with this..

Last edited:

osdiz

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2016
Im guessing you have windows .iso this is how i did it on my macbook / mcbook pro both 2006

1. Install tuxera ntfs for mac. Partition your windows using disk utility NOT BOOTCAMP , choose tuxera ntfs from the options

2. Open the windows image, copy everything insode the iso to the newly partition windows drive.
(you might get and error, this means you have to copy files individualy, trust it will work)

3install refit.

4 restart mac. Choose the windows drive,, it will start the windows install it.

If you need help installing the bootcamp drivers dm me

Last edited:

adi_zaqwan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2016
Malaysia
Im guessing you have windows .iso this is how i did it on my macbook / mcbook pro both 2006

1. Install tuxera ntfs for mac. Partition your windows using disk utility NOT BOOTCAMP , choose tuxera ntfs from the options

2. Open the windows image, copy everything insode the iso to the newly partition windows drive.
(you might get and error, this means you have to copy files individualy, trust it will work)

3install refit.

4 restart mac. Choose the windows drive,, it will start the windows install it.

If you need help installing the bootcamp drivers dm me

Do u mean copy windows installer or the windows image that i created from virtualbox?

osdiz

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2016
Do u mean copy windows installer or the windows image that i created from virtualbox?
No,
You downloaded windows. You should have a file named windows 10 you downloaded, double click it,

Everything inside.that.file, copy it to the newly partition.

adi_zaqwan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2016
Malaysia
No,
You downloaded windows. You should have a file named windows 10 you downloaded, double click it,

Everything inside.that.file, copy it to the newly partition.

It doesnt work. Still having the blinking cursor and black screen.
But i got it to work by following this steps :
Installation of Windows on Mac without using superdrive or usb

The idea is the same.
1. Create Bootcamp partition using BCA.
2. Run VirtualBox on Mac, use the bootcamp partition as disk on Virtual Box & windows.iso as optical input using IDE configuration.
3. Install rEFInd and boot up windows, will encounter error but just ignore it and restart.
4. Return to osx and delete everything inside the bootcamp partition and copy the windows.iso content to bootcamp partition.
5. Restart and boot up to windows and proceed with installation.
After that, just install BCA support for windows. Mine works like charm. It fully detects 8Gb ram, sound works, keyboard mouse and trackpad also works.

The main idea is the same where you need to copy windows.iso installer files to the bootcamp partition after setting up BCA partition & startup with VirtualBox. Thanks for ur help osdiz!

Last edited:

osdiz

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2016
Ok, the reason you get the blinking light is because you DID NOT partition with tuxera nfts,

Good for you man, glad i helped

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Simple solution that saves a lot of hassle, buy external DVD drive. They are like 20 - 50 bucks come in very hand or legacy stuff, plus it worked like a charm for me. I had a faulty Super-drive that would only work like 1/100th of the time buy when using an external DVD drive it worked just fine. Only hassle is that you need a blank DVD to put Windows 10 installer on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.