Windows is driving me up the wall!

Discussion in 'Community' started by velocityg4, Jul 13, 2005.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

Dec 19, 2004
    Well my new job is forcing me to use a windows xp desktop and the look of it is so boring. So I'm trying to Mac up the interface of this dreary windows box.

Here's the deal. I have download StyleXP which makes the windows in Windows and taskbar look like Mac windows and menu bar. I also downloaded Objectdock for a OS X style dock. I have also brought over from my Mac alot of desktop pictures. Now hears my problem ICONS! Yes I have found icons for windows found out how to change their default size and change different icons. However, it is a royal pain in the a## to find icon sets, open them, then browse for icons. Does anyone know of any shareware or freeware programs that let me change icons in Windows like you do in a Mac. This one reason alone is enough of a reason to buy Macs because I am a hardcore icon junky :D .
    Please for the love of God help me quickly and easily change icons in Windows.
  2. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
  3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I'm not a big fan of any applications that modify windows to look like OSX. They are usually resource hogs, often taking up both RAM and CPU time. I've also found the stability of these programs to be shoddy. Dump the crap and just use the default windows theme. You'll get alot more done that way.
  4. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    really, i was under the impression windows was uncapable of driving anything :rolleyes:
  5. steve jr. macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2005
    Akron, OH
    This my friend, I feel is my area, as I am an xp user who has done the same thing. Give me a couple of minutes to get some screen shots together and some files and I can help you out a TON (hopefully)!

Sorry it is so small, but photobucket was being weird.

The Dock is called Aqua Dock which can be found for free at
    this is what part of mine looks like...

and here are some icons that are for Aqua Dock

As for icons, if you would like to private message me so we can figure out how I can get them to. I also have the Apple mouse cursors that are animated. Let me know what you think.
  6. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2003
    Eh, forget doing the whole look.

I think the minimal (and most stable) approach is simply getting a Mac OS visual style. Be that Panther/Jag/Tiger, there are a million variations out there. I think a visual style is sufficient enough to get you through your day.

I honestly don't like doing the dock/objectbar/other bs b/c it is very strenuous on XP itself--and we know how well XP multitasks. To avoid that, use the native skinning system of Windows, and those are visual styles. AVOID WindowsBlinds like the plague.
  7. steve jr. macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2005
    Akron, OH
    I agree with avoiding the windows blinds. It was a pain in the butt with my computer. With the dock for quick accessto my stuff, the mouse for a little added style, icons for looks, and the wallpaper (desktop) for the icing on the top is enough to hold me over until I can make the switch. And my computer sucks and it hasn't died because of any of the changes that I have made. 1.6GHZ AMD 256 ram, although my computer says i only have 192 mb. These changes are nice, fell a little more like home, but don't slow everything down.
  8. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Apr 14, 2004
    Get the Royale Theme.

Keep the OS X backgrounds.

And get Konfabulator.

Call it a day.

That's just me though.
  9. dylomel macrumors member

Nov 26, 2004
    OSX on Windows

That was pretty, I had it for like a month, but the computer seemed :( to get a little bit slower than usual.
  10. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

May 30, 2002
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Yes I second a very BIG motion to avoid WindowBlinds like the plague. Caused my SP1 machine months ago to crash in less than 12 hours. Machine running fine now on SP2.

If you own a Mac enjoy it at home, just leave the XP machine, do the job, and leave, you bless your Mac so much better when you get home.
  11. steve jr. macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2005
    Akron, OH
    I'm not usually one to ask for favors in return, but it is almost next to impossible to find any authentic mac desktop images on the internet. I'm really looking for more traditional ones like the one in the picture below:

I don't have a screen shot of any in the "Apple Background..." category, but the one shown in the upper left corner titled "Water" is nice. If you could help me out I would really appreciate it. I have been looking for months and the only one that I have been able to find is:
    and the same one but gray.