Windows isn't keeping time...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Salamander, May 28, 2006.

1. Salamander macrumors newbie

May 12, 2006
    Whenever I boot into windows, it's always about three hours off. I always have to manually update the time. Doing this results in a time change on the OSX side of things as well. Thankfully OSX auto updates but it's still frustrating, any ideas that can help?
  2. Tinlad macrumors member

May 1, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    It's a well-known problem.

IIRC, it's because of the different ways in which XP and OS X get the time from the BIOS/EFI. On my MBP, XP is always an hour behind the real time.
  3. matticus008 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    It's because of disagreement over what the time in the hardware clock represents. I think Apple uses UTC in the hardware clock and Microsoft sets the clock to local time. It's not a bug, just a misunderstanding. The clocks are working as they are designed; they're just designed differently.

Your clocks should be off in Windows by the number of hours you are different from GMT. I have this same problem on my Linux-Windows dual boot computers which I can't fix due to software running in Linux which requires UTC in the system clock.