Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rzacharia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Does anyone know of any kind of add-on software for OS X that would allow Apple+Tab to function like it does in Windows? By this I mean that in OS X you can only cycle between applications and not all open windows. In Windows, pressing Alt+Tab will cycle through all open windows. Thus, if I have three documents in Word open, I would like Apple+Tab to allow me to cycle through all of them and not just Word.

Also related to this, I'd like the Apple+Tab to be able to unhide hidden applications. For example, if I hide iTunes and then Apple+Tab to iTunes it won't show the application, but just change the menu bar to iTunes.

Any ideas?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
While I don't have a "true" answer to your question, are you aware that Cmd-` can be used to cycle through windows?

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
Apple + Tab will unhide an app for me. but if there a no windows open in that app, it will do what you are describing.

F10 (or fn + F10 on laptops) will cycle through open windows if you have 10.3 or higher. Apple + Tab will only cycle through apps.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
rzacharia said:
Also related to this, I'd like the Apple+Tab to be able to unhide hidden applications. For example, if I hide iTunes and then Apple+Tab to iTunes it won't show the application, but just change the menu bar to iTunes.

Something wrong there. It should unhide it. It does for me. Or do you not have it hidden but actually minimized?

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
yep, apple - tilde, or you can just use exposé (you can use the arrow keys to choose a window, or use tab to cycle through different apps, or just use the mouse).

rzacharia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
If I close Mail or Safari (not quit, however), for example, it will not create a new instance of the program. I've found that Liteswitch will remedy this by initiaiting a new window.

However, I am not talking about cycling through windows in the current application, as many have suggested. What I'm asking is that what if I am in Safari and want to go immediately to "Document 3" in Word.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
rzacharia said:
If I close Mail or Safari (not quit, however), for example, it will not create a new instance of the program. I've found that Liteswitch will remedy this by initiaiting a new window.

However, I am not talking about cycling through windows in the current application, as many have suggested. What I'm asking is that what if I am in Safari and want to go immediately to "Document 3" in Word.
Mmm yea.. Expose is your answer there.. or just use an apple+tab then apple+~ combo. Not that painstaking now is it?

rzacharia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
crees! said:
Mmm yea.. Expose is your answer there.. or just use an apple+tab then apple+~ combo. Not that painstaking now is it?

It's not a matter of painstaking or not, I just have a preference for it. I was simply asking if there was something that acted as Alt+Tab did in Windows. Having to initiate Expose and then select the window is not quite the same. When you are working with many windows in many applications (for research, imaging, and web design), it does make a difference--for me at least.

20rogersc: Witch is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much!

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
rzacharia said:
20rogersc: Witch is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much!
I haven't actually tried it, but remember picking it out of a magazine or something. If it's good could you let me know please :)

::20ROGERSC::

rzacharia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
20rogersc said:
I haven't actually tried it, but remember picking it out of a magazine or something. If it's good could you let me know please :)

::20ROGERSC::

It does exactly what I wanted--it can relaunch a closed program (such as when all Safari windows are closed but you want Apple+Tab to open a new one) and lists all open windows of every application in a top to bottom format that is reminiscent in style to the application switcher. It has a wide variety of customization options and it's free!

The only downside is that the developer still has mixed feelings about using the hack to make OS X think that Witch is the dock. As such, you cannot use the Apple+Tab keystroke, as is the case with Liteswitch. However, because such a capability can be easily added, I requested that the developer at least add the option. Even if chooses not to I will learn to use Option-Tab, which is what I currently have it set to.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Ctrl+F4 (Works for me except that EyeTV seems to hog the shortcut for itself when it becomes active)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.