Windows Live Messenger! for Mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brightongem, Aug 27, 2006.

1. brightongem macrumors newbie

brightongem

Hey!

Does anyone know if and when MSN Live! is gonna be out for the Mac?
    I'm currently using the latest one out but its rubbish, can't use the webcam and its very very basic...
    I have tried some others but they don't seem to be any better...

Please help!

2. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

No one has an exact idea - but it will likely take years.

There is version 6 out at the end of this year, with 4 new features: it shows the new Live! logo next to your username, allows Yahoo! support, 'Now Playing' and gets rid of corporate support (intergrates with normal Personal account).

They have halted Virtual PC, and stopped all work on WMP and Explorer - and with the way they release new MSN products for Mac, it would be years before we have Webcam, as well as the other fancies.

There are many, many, many (I see a pattern here) threads on this, so please, use search :)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL Windows Live Msgr will be available on OS X as soon as the "Live" changes to "Dead." :(

I think if Parallels learns to support the iSight, I'm at some point going to end up using Windows purely to have better videoconferencing support. :rolleyes: :(

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Indeed, there are.

Yahoo! Messenger will probably be a better solution since they don't sell an operating system competing with Mac OS X.

Once finished, it will work just fine with Windows Messenger Live but the beta is early at this moment. It's not feature complete.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So I *know* this has probably been discussed but I have failed miserably to find it... is there anything out there that says Yahoo Msgr will do AV with Windows Live, and not just text IM? Neither Yahoo or MSN seem to suggest this.

6. mLstortz macrumors newbie

I got some help!

Well, I do know for a fact that aMSN works for the webcam and the interface isnt too bad. you can get it here>>>>>
    http://amsn-project.net/index.php

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

aMSN has supported webcam for some time but it has never supported videoconferencing (i.e. video and audio).

8. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Dont like iChat?

9. cblackburn macrumors regular

Adium is a nice MSN client but it doesn't provide video conferencing :(

Chris

10. Queso macrumors G4

More that 9/10 of the people we want to talk to don't have Macs. Yahoo! Messenger will be the only option ever to be released. Microsoft are deliberately crippling their Mac software like they used to in the 90s, hoping to kill the Mac resurgence. I guess that's why Steve is keeping Google and Yahoo! so close.

11. astranovus macrumors newbie

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Doesn't iChat video work with AOL Instant Messenger (for your Windows friends).

Anywho, another vote for Skype here. Video chatting on their stuff rivals iChat in quality .. blows Yahoo away, IMO.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I do. But I have far more friends with videoconferencing hardware on MSN than on AOL.... And it's easy for *me* to install new software...but they're not all me. ;)

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

Out of curiosity, are they in North America (your friends?) Seems like MSN lost out pretty big in the US to Yahoo and AIM, whereas that's flipped in other parts of the world.

15. Queso macrumors G4

I wouldn't know, since I've never found anyone who has it. You see, outside of the USA nobody uses AIM, and I do mean nobody. So iChat compatibility with AIM is pretty useless.

16. butaro macrumors regular

Everyone that i know uses MSN here in Ottawa (canada), Aim was so ugly, so was yahoo, before MSN we all used ICQ.
    I myself am looking for an equal for AV conferencing but in 2 months i will be able to just use Skype so MSN for mac is fine for my text needs.

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There aren't many using AIM.

I used ICQ when it was the only client available but that was always a bit broken since it was a continual beta. When AIM arrived, it was so stable, I didn't want to use anything else.

However, since I know quite a few people outside the U.S.A., I use Mercury Messenger for MSN Messenger compatibility. I almost always have iChat active, too, though.

I downloaded the never version of the official Messenger client and it crashed almost immediately.

18. wombat88au macrumors newbie

other program.

i only recently got my mac. however i used this program last night called mercury it supports video i am un aware if it supports both video and audio i will test tonight and let you know. however more than likely live wont even come to mac however i think its time that someone creates a msn simular program that allows them to interface...

well the challenge is set any takers?

wombat..

19. Nikki S macrumors newbie

windows live messenger is on mac now. I downloaded it from the apple site a month ago.

As said in previous posts, msn:mac does not not have some of the same features.

20. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

What i have heard in this forum is that Microsoft has stopped producing Mac apps and also maintaing them so i don't think there's gonna be a new MSN for Mac.

And i hate the current one.It just sucks. But that has made me to love Adium!!!! I hope they'll add videoconference option soon.If they do it,Adium will be much better ever from MSN for Windows!:rolleyes::D

21. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Agreed that the current messenger for mac (7.0.1) is HORRIBLE :mad:, it was only released a few months ago (late june I believe).

22. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I wish apple would release iChat with AIM, GoogleChat, Yahoo! Messenger and Windows Live support!:( All the people in Europe lose the chance of using iChat! It's so cool!

Ams.

23. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Well i use iChat with my gmail account or with .me!!!

Although the lack of Windows Live support makes it really bad....:(

24. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

I know for a fact that the built-in iSight is supported in windows under VMWare's fusion. That is how I've been video conferencing with all my non-mac friends who still insist on using Windows Live.

25. nadyne macrumors 6502a

As a member of MacBU who is actively working on the next versions of Office and Messenger, I feel pretty confident in saying that we're still producing Mac apps. Payday was yesterday, and the deposit appeared in my bank account just like it always does, so I'm pretty sure that I'm still employed here. :)

If you want to know what we're up to, Mac Mojo is the official team blog for MacBU. The most recent post is three weeks ago, announcing the return of Solver for Excel 2008. We've announced that AV is coming in a future version of Messenger (actually, it's currently there if you use Messenger in a corporate environment, we're just waiting for the Windows Live guys to start using the same video codecs as the corporate Office Communicator Server guys), and we've announced that VBA is returning in the next release of Office. All of that seems to point to me still having a job for the foreseeable future!

Regards,
    Nadyne.