Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guardian Enzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I just switched to Mac - an Air, great machine. But I'm still using my Windows PC every day for one reason - WLW. I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but it still seems to be true that there's nothing quite like WLW for OS X. I would rather not run a virtual machine on an Air with 4GB if I can help it, not to mention I don't have an extra Windows license lying around.

I'm hoping someone can help me find a solution that can fulfill a very specific functionality. Scribe Fire and Mars Edit don't (Blogo ane Ecto are no longer supported it seems, and Adobe Contribute is expensive). My main site is very image-dependent and Writer has a specific feature that's critical for me. It has a GUI to allow creation and editing of tables. And when I insert an image into a cell, it downsizes the image to the size of the cell and links the thumbnail to the full-sized image. When it uploads to the blog, it published the image inside the table in thumbnail form, and when clicked the user sees the full-sized image. It's a seamless, one-step process - and as I'm not an expert on either html or graphics editing and time is always in short supply, it's absolutely mission-critical for me.

Can anyone recommend a possible solution - an app, or otherwise - for OS X? It seems silly to use a PC every day for one free app, or go to the expense and trouble of setting up VirtualBox, or Bootcamp. Yes, Writer really is that good - but if I can find a way to simulate this one functionality, I can live without it most of the time. Thanks in advance for your help.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Mars Edit is pretty much the best I've found. Unfortunately there's nothing like Writer currently available on OSX, at least I haven't found it and I've been looking.

Guardian Enzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Mars Edit is pretty much the best I've found. Unfortunately there's nothing like Writer currently available on OSX, at least I haven't found it and I've been looking.

Thanks. I'm trying to like Mars Edit but it just doesn't do what I need it to do. It's odd that WLW should be so hard to match, it's just a free app that MS doesn't really care about - and there seems to be nothing in the OS X universe that can approach it.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I agree but I guess the team responsible for creating WLW cared enough to make it great. And FYI I heard a rumor that it may be discontinued in the not too distant future but I don't know how reliable that is. MS is going to discontinue all Live services and products supposedly but I don't know exactly when.

Guardian Enzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Indeed, it looks as if WLW isn't going to be supported my MS any longer. I have my copies, and as long as I can't find anything comparable on OS X I suppose I'll keep running a Windows machine (or a virtual one) just to keep using it.

Mr.Zee

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
i think PixelPumper makes a good rival as a free product .. but am still missing WLW and using it on a virtual machine.

amurepinho

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
Blogo is back!

gerd2016, thank you for the mention!

My name is Amure and Im the CEO of Blogo. I found this discussion because of our website Analytics. :)

The good news is: we are coming back! Yes, Blogo was discontinued on the past but things have changed. New team, new product, new design, new everything.

Blogging made easy, again.

Blogo is a blog editor mac app that enables users to write, publish and manage multiple blogs faster and easier than ever. It works with Wordpress, Tumblr, Blogger and we have many other relevant platforms to come. Writers can easily edit and embed images, videos and music, manage comments, preview post before publishing and even work offline.

I really believe that many writers like all of you guys (from this discussion) can be more productive and happy using Blogo. Im a blogger also and I can say that Im absolutely in love with the tool we are creating here. :)

I really want you guys to try Blogo.

We are in private beta for now. If you want to test it, visit our site and sign up:
http://dl.getblogo.com/1duOZuh

If you need any help, send me a tweet @amurepinho

Cheers! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.