Windows Longhorn screams OS X!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TML, Apr 7, 2005.

1. TML macrumors newbie

Hi there, sorry to start such a pointless thread but I had to show you a few screencaps I saw a few days ago on Winsupersite.com.

If you visit http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_preview_2005.asp and look at the images down the right hand side, you'll see what I'm saying. Microsoft have seen why OS X has become popular lately, and they've decided to add a few bits to Longhorn.

I think people will soon find it hard to tell the difference between OS X Tiger and Longhorn when they come out. :eek:

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcase/lh_stacks_demo_01.jpg - The most striking of them all I think.

- Just look at how they've started to use Apple's "trademark" Myriad font. Look at how the document icons look when they're selected - very similar to OS X's.

- Look at those ripped drop-shadows that look so beautiful only on OS X

- All those glassy effects - trying to be OS X

- Cleaner and more simple than XP and therefore more OS X-y

- That search bar at the top right - OMG, is this a complete Tiger rip-off!!?

If this doen't do it for ya, look at some of the early longhorn images - and get a load of that dark grey slate effect! OS X or what!

I think Microsoft's strategy is that as they own 95% of the computing market, people obviously trust them as they've got so many customers. I think they're beginning to adapt/copy OS X's good bits in order to improve their software. Quite a lot of people buy a mac with OS X because of its good looks and style, so with Microsoft mixing good looks with a new productive, helpful, stable OS such as Longhorn, I think this may hurt Apple.

Microsoft only copy Apple because they know OS X is better than XP. When's the last time you saw Apple copy something from the Windows platform as noticable as how MS copy them!

Just something to think about, although we all know Apple rule :rolleyes:

2. brap macrumors 68000

I'm sure it does, but I'm not giving Thurrott any more hits.

3. mac-er macrumors 65816

4. mac-er macrumors 65816

Don't more hits=more money he has to pay?

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Longhorn actually looks nicer and more polished than Panther's cheesy brushed metal look.

Panther already has a search bar across it's Finder windows; You don't have to wait until Tiger for that feature.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I disagree.

Furthermore, I also disagree about Longhorn being all that similar to OSX. I don't think it's really any more similar than any of the previous Windows versions were to the MacOS versions of the time.

7. sigamy macrumors 65816

As much as I hate it when anyone steals something directly, there really is nothing much that can be done. Everything influences everything else and until we get dramatic new user interfaces we are going to see that Longhorn, OS X and Linux UI's will get more and more similar. Look at Picasa copying iPhoto and at OS X "borrowing" XP's fast user switching.

Everyone reading these boards knows that MS is not the company that is going to bring the revolutionary new UI elements to us...there are 14 year old kids on WinCustomize.org with more design skills than MS has.

It will be really interesting to see if Longhorn includes an Expose-like feature. That will be a real sign the Microsoft still can't think for itself and really has no clue at all.

8. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

What is piles other than a folder that's icon represents visually the number of documents within? This doesn't seem like a big idea...

9. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I agree. Windows products continue to look like 1st year, community-college design class projects. It's like they were told to copy from a book, but to make sure it didn't look they were copying, then they were handed a set of markers where all the pleasing colors had already been dried out, then they were spun in circles, hit in the head with a bat and given 13 seconds to come up with the final look.

The U.S. is notorious for its lack of good taste (which isn't subjective). Apple succeeds because their focus on design is similar to the Japanese or Europeans. They understand that design matters.

Microsoft knows that something has to have a design, but they have no idea where to start, so they copy with designers that enjoy copying (i.e. not good designers). Designed by marketers to be used by mediocrity. Enjoy...

10. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Longhorn looks alot better than Windows XP. And are they going to have that stupid Home and PRO in Longhorn I hate that.

11. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Longhorn Starter Edition
    Analogous to Windows XP Starter Edition.

Longhorn Home Edition
    Analogous to Windows XP Home Edition.

Longhorn Media Center Edition
    A superset of Home Edition that includes the Media Center functionality. Analogous to XP Media Center Edition.

Longhorn Professional Edition
    Analogous to Windows XP Professional Edition.

Longhorn Small Business Edition
    A new product edition aimed at the small business market. Currently very similar to XP Professional Edition.

Longhorn Mobility/Tablet PC Edition
    Analogous to Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

Longhorn Premium Edition
    A new product edition that bridges the consumer and business versions and includes all of the features from the Home, Premium, Pro, Small Business, and Tablet PC Editions (but not Starter Edition). The new Premium edition will also add value to Microsoft's business-oriented Software Assurance (SA) customers.

12. Patch^ macrumors regular

I disagree I prefer the look of Panther compared to longhorn, which looks really cheap and nasty, like some one else said theres more talent on wincustomize than mirc0$uck. Anyway who cares about longhorn its probably just guna be a complete rip of OSX and apparently theres guna be a yearly subscription of $150 a year just to use longhorn, so its guna suck to be a peecee user.
    :p lol.

13. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Yikes! That's a lot of versions of Windows XP/Longhorn. Confuses me :confused:

I never heard of Starter Edition though.

14. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Sure, it's called System 7. :p

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Looks to me like XP with even more drop shadows. (As if shadows solved every design problem.) I've never been a huge fan of the OSX brushed aluminum look or "looks" in general, but it's clear that if this is the best improvement Microsoft can make to the Windows UI, that it will never be as clean and uncluttered as OSX. What a shock!