Windows "Longhorn" Vista

Discussion in 'Community' started by steve jr., Jul 22, 2005.

1. steve jr. macrumors 6502

Well, I'm sure most of you know that ms released what the real name of their new OS will be, Vista.

The link for the included article had two points that I want to take a look at.

1) Microsoft has previously said that Vista will make malicious software that gets onto computers without the users' knowledge "a thing of the past". Yeah, right. They can try to do their best at trying to lesson the odds of a user getting it, but it will never be a "thing of the past."

2) Executives at the firm have said Vista, which is likely to run on high-specification computers only, has been designed with security as "part of the design, not a bolt-on". Well, wudda ya know? MS has found yet another way to screw the little guy. Will this mean that I have to go out and get more ram for my computer? Probably! Yet, another reason people will be switching to Macs!

2. ksz macrumors 68000

The little guy also builds the memory chips in chip factories around the world. The little guy builds everything that is still built or assembled without robots. When sales of the little guy's output increases, the little guy's factory stays in business and keeps him employed. A vicious cycle, isn't it?

3. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

New name same S***. Be it Vista or Longhorn I'm not going there!

4. drison macrumors regular

drison

Just to play devils advocate to your response to the second point. I believe if you read enough posts about Macs, you will soon learn that they come stock with far too little ram which means that most people "have to go out and get more ram" for their Macs. And, secondly most people will agree that MacOSX loves ram.

So, even though I have issues with Windows as opposed to our beloved MacOSX, being required to add ram isn't one of them.

-Dave :)

5. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Got news for you. More than likely you'll need a specific set - very limiting - of chipsets to run Vista. your current LCD may not even be enough to support all its GUI tricks - re: Avalon. Not going there unless an employment establishment forces me to learn it & use it. I'll be on a Mac long before it launches.

Sad though, about the name. Its pretty pathetic and less, well professional in any sort of way. Vista, just doesnt roll off the tongue so good when it comes to an OS.

6. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I actually think that Longhorn is even better than Vista. I used to think Longhorn sucked, but Vista is way way worse.

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm interested to see what security steps they plan on taking. For one thing, it can't be anything very drastic or people's old programs won't run. And we all know that if grandma can't run her old program from 1973 she won't upgrade.

Also, almost anytime Microsoft makes something built-in or "easier" it just ends up being more screwed up than it was in the first place.

Microsoft is never going to take any big steps forward until they give up the idea that every new OS has to be able to run programs written 10 years ago.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'd say the video card would be much more important in this equation than what LCD one is using.

9. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Well I hope it all goes pear shaped and everyone turns to mac os. Also the fact that Apple has gone Intel could favour a huge chunk of the computing world turning to Mac OS. Fingers crossed, toes too...etc!

10. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Let's see, XP in 2001 (half a decade later) then you have Windows Longhorn at the END of 2006

Now Apple, 10.0 (Puma) was released in 2000-01, 10.1 Cheetah (I may have the names bass ackwards) 2001-02, Jaguar 2002-03, Panther 2003-04, Tiger 2005

5 Different OS's - NextStep + w/ever OS
    New Darwin every update.

11. steve jr. thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. I understand the point about the ram. But how many times have you had to upgrade your memory becuase you were upgrading the OS (within reason)? I can understand adding more because of a hungry app (ex: PhotoShop), but you would think MS would take into consideration what the average person uses their system for and build it around that. I think they have, and they chose games/digital hub.

I also agree that Apple ships their boxes with a low memory (although they have upgraded the pb's to 512 which is a step in the right direction).

I guess for me, the bottom line is, would I really want to spend a couple hundred buying Vista, take the risk of my current system not supporting it (and for me specifically, it wouldn't) and then spend a few more hundred upgrading everything? NO! I would rather (and plan on doing) buy a Mac. And I mean that in the best way possible. It is nuts. Billy Gates has gotten enough of my $$$.

12. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I think in late 2006, what is "high end" now will be standard. 256 MB RAM won't exist anymore - 512 minimum and anything less than 60 GB hard drives will be destroyed. Also, video cards will be minimum 64 MB.

Basically, it will work on a DELL.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Domain windowsvista.com doesn't seem to be taken. Here's our chance to lock it up and make it a Mac fan site, just for fun. :D

14. steve jr. thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha. Or windows.vista.com. Really get them! :rolleyes:

15. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

how about "Hasta La Vista!" 'cause I ain't about to use it, no matter how secure they say it is!

16. steve jr. thread starter macrumors 6502

HAHA!! THAT IS GREAT!! gee, when you say it like that, it does make sence. The spanish "i" sounds like the english "e" like in see. Very creative! I love it!

- Steve

17. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Sounds like a MS OS to me :rolleyes:

So, the disk space requirement of 1 TB might be true :eek:

18. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Here's what I had read on it before hand for requirements:
    MINIMUM SPECS:
    5 GHz Processor
    8 GB RAM
    20+ GB HDD SATA (MINIMUM) - 18GB for the OS

RECOMMENDED:
    8 GHz Processor
    16 GB RAM
    40 GB HDD SATA - 36GB for the OS + total used

Hmmm, sounds like something a Mac could handle, not PC's yet though, they still only support up to 4GB RAM. Come on , everyone here's put in 8GB of RAM, waiting to take use of it.

EDIT: I heard about longhorn and the requirements for it about 3 or 4 years ago, here's a site that says diff from my specs:
    http://www.msversus.org/title/Average+Hardware+Requirements

Wonder why they call it long horn? Cause its a pain in the @$$

19. steve jr. thread starter macrumors 6502

That last quote is from the site. I agree that people will not want to make the switch! I for sure, won't after seeing what you just provided above, and even from what was listed on the site, which was much less! God, now I understand why Apple is making the transition that they are, because now they will (hopefully) lower their prices just in time for Vista and for all of the people that refuse to make such a huge upgrade. Those requirements are outrageous! :mad:

Edit: And oddly enough, the powerpc machines can already be setup for this (and i assume the mactel's will too, and even better), and when the switch happens to intel, the price drops, and oddly enough, they can run winblows and Apple already said they would not block it from running. :confused: Hmmm. So I see a challenge?

20. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Is this a Win/Win/Win situation for Microsoft, Apple, and Intel

21. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

windowsvista.com: Taken
    windowsvista.net: Taken
    windowsvista.org: Taken
    windowsvista.info: Taken
    windowsvista.name: Taken
    windowsvista.biz: Taken
    windowsvista.cn: Taken
    windowsvista.us: Taken
    windowsvista.ws: Taken
    windowsvista.bz: Taken
    windowsvista.cc: Taken
    windowsvista.tv: Taken

You spoke too late Q... :( ;)

22. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

New name sounds slightly better than Longhorn IMO. I'm going to dual boot Vista and XP as soon as it comes out.

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

No... if the LCD doesn't have DRM technology then you may not be able to view certain video streams. Not kidding.

Linkety

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Hmmm, how 'bout altavista? Oh wait, never mind.

25. Tahko macrumors regular

What could I say? Holy sheit that damn thing is bloated!!!?!!! Yeah, something like that... How on God Mothers Earts Sactum can a filthy OS be that big?!