Windows & Mac File Sharing Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mmcneil, Jul 10, 2004.

1. mmcneil macrumors regular

iMac running Panther with RAID Disk Array is the Server

3 Macs, 3 Windows Machines (XP) sharing Graphics files in a Print Shop.

Whenever Windows machines create a new folder or file the permissions are set to read-only for group and everyone. I solved this problem for the Macs with a umask utility I found, now I just have to solve it for the Windows machines.

Any ideas? :confused:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Wouldn't changing the umask for the iMac itself solve the problem for everybody, regardless of platform, and regardless of local or remote user? You can do this with the umask command in the Terminal.

3. mmcneil thread starter macrumors regular

Mac & Windows File Sharing

Alas, unfortunately no - I wasn't able to find a way to change the default umask through the terminal, finally resorted to a finder-umask script I found after a little searching that works perfectly for the Macs. All of the machines are set in the same SMB group. I login to the server as a member of the group not as the owner. I was tempted to try "ignore ownership on this volume", but don't really want to since there are some files I would prefer to keep under permissions.

A Correction to my original posting, the server is running Jaguar currently.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Was this the script you used? It appears that Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar" DOES possess the umask command (looking at the site I linked to) - it requires that the new umask be given in numeric format. See the manual page for chmod for details on the numeric format for permissions.

5. mmcneil thread starter macrumors regular

Umask Command

Jaguar & Panther both have a umask command, however that does not change the default umask. It really only affects the terminal window you are working in at that moment. Adding a umask to a .login or .tcshrc also does not seem to have any affect.:confused:

Yep - that was the script I used works great for all folders & files created on the Mac, completely accessible by Windoze machines. :D

I used Tinkertool on my laptop (Panther) and that was similarly successful.