Windows/Mac Printer Sharing?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by XIII, Apr 23, 2005.

1. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I have a printer which is connected to the Windows computer, by usb. It has been plugged into my iBook by usb at times as well. Now they are both on a network, as in the windows pc is ethernet wired into the router, and the iBook is wireless, can I share the printer remotely, and how do I do this? I have enabled sharing for the printer in Windows, and that is where I am stuck..

Thanks,

-Jack

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You will have to use this command smb://[login]:[password]@[IP address or server name]/[printer name] when you try to connect the device over the network, if you dont enter the password it will ask you for it when its starts to connect to it. When you open the print manager use Connect to a windows printer using Samba, or use the windows drop down then below that select he domain/workgroup that the windows machine is in. I have to use it to connect to my Brother HL 1240 which runs as a HP LJ II+, which brings me to another point in that it took me a little searching around on the internet and testing drivers to get the right one unless you happen to be lucky and OS X has your driver already :p

Ed

3. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

Do I type that command into a web broswer?

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Straight out of help in Printer Setup Utility

1 Open System Preferences and click Print & Fax.
    2 Click Printing, and then click the Set Up Printers button.

If the printer already appears in the Printer List, select the In Menu checkbox to add it to your list of available printers. You'll see it in the Printer pop-up menu the next time you print.
    3 Choose Printers > Add Printer.
    4 Choose Windows Printing from the top pop-up menu, choose a network workgroup from the pop-up menu that appears directly below it, select a workgroup from the list, and click Choose.

Any Windows printers in the network you've chosen appear in the Printer List.
    5 Select the printer in the Printer List.
    6 To use printer-specific features, choose the item appropriate for your printer from the Printer Model pop-up menu, then select your printer in the Model Name list.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to choose the correct printer model for the printer you're using. For more information, see the documentation that came with the printer. If you have an HP PCL compatible printer that is not listed in the Printer Model pop-up menu, choose the printer model that most closely matches your printer. For a list of compatible printer models you can choose if your printer isn't listed, go to http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php3.
    7 Click Choose.

The printer appears in the Printer List as the default printer (in bold type). It also appears in the Printer pop-up menu when you print a document.

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Open your Printer Setup Utility /applications/utilities/Printer Setup Utility depending on your version of OS X im using 10.3.9 you may or may not have to use that command at all. if you click add new printer, then there will be a drop down. Select Windows Printing, then under that selection choose the workgroup name or the domain the windows machine sharing the printer is on. Select the machine, select its printer, find the right driver on your mac for that printer and youre done :) Now if you dont get the menus that i just described you will need to connect using Samba (still in printer setup utility), there will be a space to type the command that i gave above. Good Luck, it took me a few tries driver wise to get my printer to work right.

Ed

6. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

The printer doesnt appear in that list, or at least I think it doesn't.

When I go into printer sharing, I see this:

[​IMG]

Then when I look in the drop down menu there is this:

[​IMG]

Which gives me this:

[​IMG]

The when I select whatever the above is, and choose select, it doesnt do anything, doesnt add it or anything. I mentioned that I can had used this printer which is currently plugged into the windows machine on my mac before didn't I? Because having clicked set up printer I see this:

[​IMG]

But it says its hosted on jack's Computer, which is my Mac. So I presume that is from when I have used it via USB on my Mac?

I really am lost here. Was simply selecting "Share this printer" in windows enough? Or do I need to do more there? Thanks for all the help.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm, the name of the Windows computer should be shown in your first screenshot. My guess is either that you haven't shared the printer properly, or that your Windows computer is on a different workgroup (this is more likely). What version of Windows are you using?

Attached Files:

8. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

I'm running Windows XP Professional. I havn't got my iBook at the moment either, because apple are fixing a sticky clicker.. :( All I did to share the printer was right click on it, and click share this printer. Skipped the wizard...

9. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

10. live4ever macrumors 6502a

If you have any type of firewall running you have allow access for the iBook.

Do you have any shared folders on the XP box that work?

11. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

Nope.. How can I allow access for the iBook, I do have a Firewall running.. ZoneAlarm on the XP Box..

12. rwhorne macrumors newbie

Windows/Mac Printer Sharing?

I am having issues with this, have to check the fire wall part of this question. But one thing you need to do on the XP windows side is:

1) right click on "My Computer"
    2) select properties
    3) select the "Remote" tab
    4) Put a check mark in the "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer"

Also the user name on the XP side must have a password in order to connect remotely.

13. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Sorry to dig, but I have this SAME exact problem that's really pissing me off. Anyone find a solution?

14. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer