Windows Media Player 10 Beta Released... LOL

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chaszmyr, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Microsoft released a beta of WMP10 for Windows, today. On the site it gives this warning:

"Warning! This is a technical beta release. Before you decide whether to install this software, it is important to understand that the technical beta release does not have the stability of released Microsoft software."

2. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Believe it or not, Microsoft makes stable software. Its 3rd party stuff that screws it up ;)

3. boomtopper macrumors member

boomtopper

I doubt windows media player 10 is anything as good as itunes. Personally when i used windows i used to always use winamp.

4. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

at least they are cleaning it up a bit

Attached Files:

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What is Winamp on now? I still use Winamp 2 at home. I tried Winamp 3, but it was the biggest lemon program ever! Seriously, it freezes every machine it starts up on. Its resource hungry. How can an mp3 player be that resource hungry? :p

Anyway, WMP.....wow. I'd still prefer my Winamp 2 if I was using a PC. Actually, there are a few things about Winamp that I find to be simpler than in iTunes. There's just something about the way iTunes operates that bugs you when you use it for the first few times....

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That screenshot of WMP looks pretty decent, actually.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

As a person who constantly is forced to use Microsoft products, I would have to disagree with you. ;)

8. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

9. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

looks like MSF is copying again, when you look at the picture they use "rip" and "burn" reminds me of apples "Rip, Mix, Burn" ad campain with the original itunes lol can they ever come up with there own ideas lol.

-Neal

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yes, and why are they such gawd awful huge portions of the interface?!? That's what I LOVE about Apple's programs, they features have a tendency to become visible only when they apply and not the other 90+% of time that you don't need them. Honestly, do you need to have a Rip button available to you all the time?

11. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    Winamp 3 was released after AOL bought Nullsoft because AOL rushed it out the door. Then the programers went back and did it right and released what they actually wanted to release and called it Winamp 5. If I didn't have iTunes I'd probably use it! ;)

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What happened to Winamp 4? :p

Also, WMP doesn't look that bad. Its just that it always seemed like such a resource hungry, bloated piece of software. Winamp is small, sits at the side, and that's it. "It just works!", as they say. ;) That's my Windows alternative, anyway. Well, that's before iTunes for Windows came out. I haven't used Windows for the past year.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The same thing that happened to Mac OS 8.4 :) (and 8.2 and 8.3 for that matter!)

14. boomtopper macrumors member

boomtopper

I got the new winamp the other day for my PC and they have changed the look loads since i used it when it was version 3. It looks really nice now. But i know what you mean it is quite a system hog for a mp3 player.
    I remember when MP3 was new and if you played a game and listened to a MP3 at the same time it would slow the sytem down loads!

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think people were tired of waiting for version 4. Their advertisement read something like 2 + 3 = 5.

Well, since we need WMP to view certain MS media, they might as well keep it going. The Mac OS X version has been very reliable for me, which is something I would rarely say. It bugs me that they don't integrate it as well as QuickTime. Rather than using a drop-down menu to save the video. You have to go find the file and save it through the browser. It makes me feel as if I'm using Windows. :(

16. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    now if only Microsoft would work with some of the codec companies to get those annoying windows media media codecs to work. and yes, i am as shocked as you that it's not actually Microsofts fault. untill then i'll continue using Windows Media Encoder 9 to convert those movies that won't play into a codec that does. :mad:

17. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I remember when I upgraded to windows media player 9 for OS X, I was actually surprised that it was somewhat well behaved, and wasn't quite the ugliest piece of software on my computer....they are making a little progress with it, I'll give them that. But I still use VLC as much as I can.