Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KiDrOck80

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2003
Syracuse, NY
I cant get the windows media player 9 for Mac Os X to run the installer, it says that there is no default application to run the installer...how can i get this to work?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
You'll need to get StuffIt Expander to decompress the archive that the Windows Media Player installer comes in, if you don't have it already, or haven't already decompressed it. If you have decompressed it already, but it won't run, the most likely cause is that the installer application is not marked as executable - this is best fixed in the Terminal (the command-line aspect of Mac OS X).

KiDrOck80

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2003
Syracuse, NY
anything i download just comes up as a blank piece of paper... for any format (.sitx) and .EXE...it's like i dont have an Installer to run any program i download

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Well, you're not going to be running .EXEs on your Mac. Those are Windows executables. And they only execute under Windows.

As noted, you need to download Stuffit Expander to uncompress the things you're downloading (.sit/.sitx).

KiDrOck80

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2003
Syracuse, NY
i did download the stuffit and it comes up on my desktop as a blank piece of paper, and it tells me to find an application to run the installer???? Im new to macs, so this is a bit confusing to me..

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
That doesn't make much sense.

When you download the free Stuffit Expander from Allume.com, it should come as a .dmg (disk image). This should automatically open with Disk Utility (well, BOMArchiver specifically) and mount on your Desktop. In the mounted disk image, there should be an icon to install Stuffit Expander. You should simply be able to double click it and it will go through the installation rigamarole.

If you're new to Macs, are you using Internet Explorer? Try using Safari instead.

KiDrOck80

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2003
Syracuse, NY
i got it to work..i downloaded the wrong StuffIt, and that helped me to install windows media player...thanks for your help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.