Windows Media Player being different on Powerbook and PowerMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Noted, Apr 18, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Ok I've got a really weird problem.

The football/soccer team I support (Arsenal) has an online service which lets you watch streaming WMP videos (http://tv.arsenal.com).

Now on my Power Mac G5, these videos work. It says Connecting to server, then buffering, then it plays.

On my G4 PowerBook, with exactly the same version Safari, same WMP, same internet plugins installed, the videos don't work! It just says Connecting to server for ages then comes up with a popup saying File name or path incorrect.

What the hell?

Any settings or anything I have to do? I really need help.. thanks

2. macrumors 68000

mklos

Not sure if FlipforMac works for WM streaming, but I would give it a try. This is the replacement for Windows Media Player on the Mac (which blows BTW).

www.flip4mac.com

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Tell me about the following...

1) Are the firewall configurations the same?

2) Do they acquire their network connection the same way, or is one wired vs. the other Airport?

4. thread starter macrumors member

The PowerBook is wireless (Airport) while the Power Mac is wired. Why would that make a difference. I'm not sure about the firewall settings. Do you mean the ports?

5. macrumors 604

ravenvii

That does make a difference, since (I'm assuming) you're connected to the AirPort's LAN port, which basically connects directly to the internet access source (no firewalls or anything), while the PowerBook is connected wireless, and thus is behind the AirPort's firewall.

6. thread starter macrumors member

So what can I do?

7. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

try temporarily disabling the firewall on the Powerbook?

8. thread starter macrumors member

The firewall is off. Also I just changed the PB to a wired connection instead of Airport and it still didn't work. Maybe theres some sort of problem on my PowerBook?