Windows Media Player Does Not Want To Be Deleted! Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bali Cockfight, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Bali Cockfight macrumors regular

I tried deleting WMP from my powerbook and as soon as I try to empty the trash it tells me, "The operation cannot be completed because the item 'wmphelp.htm' is locked"

It asks me if I want to 'continue' or 'stop'. When I choose 'stop', the window closes. If I choose 'continue' it simply tells me another file is locked like 'WMPicon.gif'

I want to remove WMP from my powerbook but it's just festering in my trash like a rotten banana peel.

2. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

3. Bali Cockfight thread starter macrumors regular

It tells me, "The operation cannot be comleted because the item 'htm' is in use."

It tells me this after I Secure Empty Trash

4. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

If you do a restart and then Empty Trash?

::20ROGERSC::

5. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

You can also try to go in and unlocking all the files. Right click (ctrl+click) on WMP and select "Show Package Contents" Start looking through all the files and find the ones that are locked. I think the locked files are under Resourses in all the language .lproj folders.

I've had the same issue before with WMP.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Go into you program pull down the file tab then click on the get info tab from there you should be able to unlock that sucker and throw it away. Hope that helps.

7. denial macrumors regular

Check in the Activity Monitor that it is not running in the background?

8. Bali Cockfight thread starter macrumors regular

TDM21,

Dude, you rock! I manually selected all the locked files, unlocked them, and now those buggers are gone. Yes! Thanks.

9. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Open a terminal, type rm -rf, and then drag the file from the trash into the terminal window. Press enter and it will be deleted.

10. IHateMircoWnds macrumors newbie

Windows Media Player Does Not Want To Be Deleted! Help!

I had same problem...I resolved it. Right click on windows media player folder in trash and select "Show Package Content". After doing this go to Resources folder and then go to each and every folder with .lproj extension (Eg: English.lporj, French.lproj, and so on). Then go to Helppages and unlock files you see there and even in the htm folder that will be present there. You can select all files and right click to get info and then select unlock option. Its a bit long procedure but worth it. Good luck!

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In order to stop you from deleting WiMP, the installer locks several files. Leave it to Microsoft! :rolleyes: