Windows Media Player for OSX Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Devie, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Devie macrumors 6502a

I cant play any .wmv files on my mac and it is starting to really **** me off. I have that VLC player thing but it never works, always get errors when I try to play movies.
    I tried downloading Media Player from Microsoft.com (for Mac) but I dont think my mac liked the file formatt...? And I couldnt install it.
    So what can I use to let me watch some dam .wmv files?

2. timjstark macrumors newbie

Windows Media Player 9.0 and Recovered items in Trash

Hello,

Two quick issues possibly related to your post with which I am having an issue:

1. When using the CNN.com site with Safari, I can no longer view video (it works with FireFox). When chosing a video, the site states that I must have Windows Media Player 9.0 which I do have. It allows me to "Continue to the video", but the video never actually plays. The error message that pops up is "Cannot find the file. Verify the path and try again."

2. Possibly related; I occasionally find folders in my trash labeled, "Recovered files" which turns out to contain folders, "Windows Media Player Temp" (which contains a .tmp file) and "fcctemp" (which is empty).

If anyone have any tips/solutions to these two issues, it would be greatly appreciated.
    This is my first post.

Thank you!

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Devie, if the WMV download comes as a .sit file (the only reason I can think of that your 'Tiger' Mac didnt' like it), then you need to download Stuffit Expander. You can find it on version tracker - but it should install fine.

VLC has a new beta version as of end of last week - you can find it on Versiontracker - which works in Tiger. The earlier versions had a tendency to crash or bring up errors in Tiger.

Bear in mind that there are some of the DRM features in WMV that will not work on the Mac version so you may not be able to play everything.

Tim, have you tried having the wmp open as a separate application when using Safari before you click on the links? I had this problem on the Wimbledon site last week and could only get in from Firefox initially. I'm fairly sure that I managed to get in eventually via Safari.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The CCN.com news video is now free. Yet CCN's production costs have not decreased. How then are the news videos supported? Ads, that's how. That plug-in warning is not an error message, it is an ad for Windows Media Player 9. Just continue to the video, then wait until you are old and gray. The video will show up. Well, you will get commercial first, but you will get the news video after that. I am looking at a video through Safari as I post this.

5. timjstark macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks to Mister Me,

I was patient and just like you said the video (after the commercial) did play.

Thanks again!

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Flip4Mac makes a commercial codec that allows you to play and encode WMV files right from within QT player. This is actually the best way to view or produce WMV files for Mac.