Windows media player is the devil

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by adk, Jan 1, 2006.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I got sick of Windows media player so I dragged it to the trash. Then Finder wouldn't let me empty it because 50000 WMP files were "locked". What do I do?

DAMN YOU MICROSOFT!

2. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

Thanks, but the question is how do I get the damn WMP files out of my trash?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

open up the trash. get info on WMP. under ownership and permissions make sure you can Read and Write and its unlocked. in the General pane make sure Locked is not checked off.

4. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

WMP itself isn't locked or anything. It tells me things like wmphelp.htm are locked, and I can't find those actual files anywhere.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

control click on WMP>show package contents. and you will be able to dig through for files. although if i you go the highest folder in the hierachry you should be able to get info, make sure you can Read and Write and that its unlocked. then apply that too all enclosed items.

6. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

Ok, that worked, but thanks to stupid WMP it wouldn't let me change all contents of some folders so I had to go in one by one and unlock 4 billion files. the moral of the story, NEVER download WMP.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its happened to me before with it too. its PITA for sure. glad that worked for you though.

8. alexprice macrumors 6502a

An easy way of doing this in future is to hold Ctrl Alt and Apple keys whilst clicking "Empty Trash" under the file menu.

9. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Couldn't have said it better!

10. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I think it works if you just hold down alt and then empty trash, but I might be wrong.

Either way, this is so much easier than sifting through folders and packages trying to find the culprit(s).

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The Devil is the Devil ...

WMP is just and inferior tool made by a bunch of Devil groupies who cannot even light a candle without fouling it up.

12. alexprice macrumors 6502a

I have just locked a file and emptied the trash with just the Alt key held down, this method does remove locked files.

Thanks.

13. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

i love windows media player. i don't like quick time.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

may i ask why?

15. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

Maybe i'm confused, but WMP isn't even able to play certain types of WMV movies. It was even a PITA to get rid of. This just makes me hope and pray I'll never have to uninstall MS Office.

16. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I can't believe how Apple makes such a great QT for windows but M$ can't do the same in return. Whatever though:rolleyes:

17. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Thanks for that Treblah, WMP has never worked on my G5, Filp4mac plugin work fine. WMP player is now in the bin!

18. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

i love my macrumors :)

i had the same problem. thanks for helping me fix it b4 i pulled all whats left of my hair out :)

19. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Either use Flip4Mac as noted in this thread, or use a Windows machine or Bootcamp and Windows. I've been dealing with WMP files for years under Windows, with zero problems.

20. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

QuickTime used to crash for me when I was using it to Encode files (QTPro)...These companies don't like each other, so maybe they don't even take much care in writing these apps.

21. innertechnology macrumors newbie

Stop Hating WMP(they are scums tho)! Know your powers!

Be in control of your Trash -

cmd-option-shift-delete = empties trash without dialog, included locked files

Power to the people!

;)