Windows Media Player Madness

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by waynepixel, Oct 19, 2005.

1. waynepixel macrumors regular

For some reason "Windows Media Player" has stop playing sound. And I keep getting a message box popping up saying this. Link The thing is I get this message with all Windows Media movies, even the Windows Media test movie.

I have a filling it is a codec problem, but I cannot find where windows codec are put, and I have looked. I know I could just use VLC or MPlayer but even they do not play all windows media movies.

Anyone have any idea as to why this is happening.?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Sounds like WMP's gone funky. Uninstall, do a Spotlight search for any residual Windows Media Player files and get rid of them, there's a preference file in ~/user/library/preferences. Then reinstall.

3. waynepixel thread starter macrumors regular

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So what am I? Just eye-candy to you? ;)

5. waynepixel thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Mate.

I have done all of the above all ready but it is still not working. Also, Quicktime has stopped playing sound with streamed media. I have just gone to watch Steve web cast and, yep, No Sound.

6. Renegate macrumors member

With Quicktime its Library/Quicktime/Extensions ,Should be similar for WMP

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Erm, are your speakers set to mute?

8. waynepixel thread starter macrumors regular

Wight I found the problem.

Some third-party audio applications may change your computer's audio output setting. And to correct the problem you have to use the "Audio MIDI Setup.app" and put is back to 44100.0 Hz.

It is unbelievable an app can give you so mush problems like this. I had no idea that the "Audio MIDI Set-up app" was responsible for controlling audio output. I thought that was controlled by the sound pref.

Here is the full article I found on apple web site. Just incase anyone els goes fought this nightmare.

LINK

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No sound from some applications, but system alert sounds play (Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4)

Some audio applications may change your computer's audio settings to a sample rate that is too high for other applications to use. In this situation, system alert sounds still work, and does iTunes, but other applications may have no sound (audio output). This document applies to Mac OS X 10.3 or later and applications that use QuickTime 6 for audio, such as Safari and Quicktime Player.

This can happen on Macs that support high sample rates (higher than 48000 Hz):

iMac G5
    Mac mini
    Power Mac G5 models that support sample rates higher than 48000 Hz
    PowerBook G4 support sample rates higher than 48000 Hz
    For example, if you play an Internet movie in Safari, it will make no sound; if you open a QuickTime movie on your computer, QuickTime Player reports the following error (and the movie will have no audio):

"You may experience problems playing a sound track in (Movie Name).mov because a software component needed by the movie could not be opened."

Solution

Open Audio MIDI Setup (/Applications/Utilities/), then check the Audio Output setting.
    Change the Audio Output setting to 44100.0 Hz.
    Quit Audio MIDI Setup.
    Why does this happen?

Some third-party audio applications may change your computer's audio output setting. In fact, if you use the third-party application again after applying the above solution, the issue might occur again. Observe changes by watching the settings in Audio MIDI Setup before and after running a third-party application you suspect might be causing the issue. Contact the manufacturer of the application for more information.

9. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

ok i had a similar problem...No sound would play from both WMP and RealPlayer. To resolve it, apple says that you must open GarageBand and then voila everything will start working again. I was a little skeptical at first but it actually works!! Apple says that there is some software problem that doesn't play nicely with certain comps.
    Well hope it works..