Windows Media Player not detected

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kelcon, Dec 18, 2006.

1. kelcon macrumors newbie

Hi - I'm new to Mac by way of an early Xmas present. I've downloaded and installed windows media player for Mac OS X, but when I go to places like cnn.com it say window media player not detected. Is there something else I should do? Thanks

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This may not have been obvious...well...Microsoft's own site tells you to do this, so maybe it was obvious, but anyway....

WMP is considered deprecated on MacOS at this point. Please try using Flip4Mac. This should enable Quicktime to play WMP files.

I tried CNN.com just now, and I got the "We couldn't figure out what version of WMP you're using" window, but when I clicked the button to continue, it worked just fine. :)

You may also wish to download and install one more set of Quicktime codecs called Perian. Both are free. Between these two, Quicktime will support a fairly broad set of formats in addition to Quicktime native files.

4. kelcon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies - that did the job!

5. techster85 macrumors regular

I had a similar experience, even though i use flip4mac, I was having problems with WMP, so i uninstalled and redownloaded the newest version...and now it won't even install the stupid program, again, not a big deal because i use flip, but does anyone know why?

6. kelcon thread starter macrumors newbie

When I originally downloaded WMP it wouldn't install and when I went back and read the instructions it said I also had to download Stuffit in order to install it. Do you have that?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

FWIW, You need stuffit to install WMP but you do not need stuffit to install Flip4Mac. And you should install Flip4Mac and not WMP, as the former is the official Microsoft-supported solution for viewing Windows media files on a Mac. ;)