Windows Media Player.sitx???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xli_ne, May 11, 2005.

1. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

I tried to download media player 9 and I get a .sitx file in which it says it doesn't know that program to use to open it. Anyone else have this problem with tiger?? :confused:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is happening because Apple decided to drop Stuffit from the Tiger installation process. If you need it for something, you can always go to http://www.stuffit.com/ and download it from there.

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

anything with sit (and a lot of other ones too) in the extension uses stuffit.

4. xli_ne thread starter macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Ah yes...

I just figured it out and came back here to post. Thanks for the posts and thanks a lot apple for not including it. :mad:

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Until someone tells me otherwise, the most credible theory is that Stuffit Expander was not yet Tiger-compatible when the new OS went to manufacturing. It was not some deep dark punitive action on the part of Apple against Allume.

6. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

stuffit is wildly inconsistent on Tiger... sometimes it unstuffs and the folder will be empty, even though Spotlight will find files in the newly explanded folder... WTF!?

anyhow, if you've tried to download stuffit, you'll realize all the confusing hoops they put you through trying to sell you the deluxe version (which may be why Apple decided to drop them - and the format moving forward). i'm looking forward to seeing everything as .zip or .dmg - stuffit sucks.

7. rccola70 macrumors regular

I found a workaround for the empty extraction bug thing..

All you have to do is drag the archive to a folder away from Desktop and unarchive it there..it works for me..