Windows Media Player -- Universal?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bobber205, Jul 2, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I've tried several times to install Windows Media Player, but it keeps crashing. I've used the exact same link and app on a PPC machine with success, so I'm assuming it's my MacBook...

Any ways out of this.... many media elements on the net are only windows media player.

2. geodome macrumors member

geodome

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I know......such a pain in the ass. I really don't know why it doesn't work. I've tried to install it myself, and until Flip4Mac becomes universal, I can't be bothered looking for another solution.

4. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

flip4mac has a universal beta

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's a private beta. The files are not publicly available. As MS has basically given up on WMP on the Mac don't expect to see an official WMP any time soon.

In the meantime VLC might be able to play the files you are wanting to play.

6. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I was able to install it, but I had to download stuffit to open it...

7. geodome macrumors member

geodome

VLC is universal, so stick to it.

Btw does the Mac version Real Player support Mp3, Mp4, WMA, WMV, etc?

I doubt so, but I want to be sure of it.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They're not listed under media types in Real Player's preferences so I'd say no.

9. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

But many sites (like comedycentral.com for example) make you play the media in their window, not for download. That's the problem...

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The release version of Popwire WMV-9 Component is Universal Binary.

11. FragTek macrumors 6502

I got it to install the first time without a hitch on my MBP.

12. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I have used Windows Media Player 9 for Mac on the base Macbook Pro, and I can testify that it works perfectly. I don't know what's wrong with yours then. :(

Try VLC Player. :)

13. TAV macrumors regular

A couple of suggestions posted here are incorrect - or slightly misleading...

The Popwire Components, while Universal, do nothing for web-delivered content. The UB of Popwire has worked perfectly for local WMV files since it's release.

The Flip4Mac components have never been "private beta releases." Both of the UB versions of the F4M components were open to everyone for testing on their site for a limited period. Both 2.10.24 and the latest (more optimized for intel) 2.1.0.29 release were available free and open for a 24-36 hour period, and several people posted that information on this forum at that time.

VLC, while a terrific open-source video client, is useless against the very popular earlier WMV3 codec.

Across two intel Macs at home and various others at work, I've not seen a situation where WMP9 is necessary any longer.

14. digger1914 macrumors newbie

digger1914

I have Windows Media Player 9 for Mac runnnig on my MBP as well. no problems at all! :)

15. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Does it play on the Internet?

16. FragTek macrumors 6502

Mine works for internet content perfectly. Any page that has streaming WMV content automatically launches WMV after a prompt by Safari and it loads right up.

17. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

After acquiring the beta for Flip4Mac, I am now a very happy camper since I can listen to my beloved Twins on MLB.com.

Has anyone had success with WMP9 and the MLB audio feeds? I sure haven't.

18. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I use Firefox for almost everything, but if I want to view WMV content online (that doesn't happen very often) I use the Flip4Mac plugin with Safari set to run in Rosetta. Works fine.

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

They certainly weren't "open to everyone." I applied and never got them, and I'm sure I can't be the only one.

20. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

The current version of Real player supports anything Quicktime supports. It can also playback wmv files, but in a more convoluted way. If you have flip4mac installed and save the .wmv file as a Quicktime .mov (reference or self-contained), then Real Player will play it due to it's dependance on Quicktime which is now the host of the wmv file in the .mov container.

Edit: BTW, VLC only supports WMV 8 and below and can't handle WMV 9, which is fairly predominant now in WMV land.

21. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Has anybody else noticed that (at least on macbook) Windows Media Player won't go throught headphone jack on .wmv files but VLC will?

VLC won't play the video, but will the music. So I often have to use both at the same time. :eek:

22. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

The current betas of Flip4Mac are universal. Just wait a few days until they are released, and all your problems with WMV will be gone.

23. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Where can I download them?

24. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Problem:

After changing the installer to run in Rosetta, I installed the Flip4Mac WMV components.

The user guide said I should be able to take advantage of the app in Safari, but safari still isn't launching the files.

Any suggestions?

25. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Safari will also have to be set to run under Rosetta if you want it to use any non-Intel plugins or QuickTime components.