Windows Media Player won't uninstall!?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coleg, Jan 14, 2005.

1. coleg macrumors regular

Hello,

I installed Windows Media Player 9 for OSX. Now I want to get rid of it.

I click and drag the Windows Media Player folder into my trash and try to empty my trash. It won't go away, it just says that all these files are locked.

Fudge Windows.

What's wrong?

-Cole

2. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Yeah, I just tried to delete mine as well and it said that the help file is locked an cannot continue. You can force empty trash by holding command+option keys then select empty trash. The App will be deleted now ;)

aussie_geek

3. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

That's what I'd recommend. Does it say anything other than just that the files are locked? Like maybe that they're in use or something? Kinda weird. Or, try logging out or even restarting, then deleting it without opening any other apps. It might load little "this guy clicked on a .wmv, use me!" notifiers with safari or firefox or something... Good luck getting that pos off your machine!

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Or, select the file and press Command+I. See if the Locked checkbox is checked or not. Just in case you want to edit something, change it, etc, and its locked, otherwise, delete away!

5. coleg thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried the command+option route. It did nothing. It still says files are locked.

I am so pissed at windows now. Why would they do something like this? It's horrible.

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If the files are locked, it may be that they are in use... you usually cannot delete files that are running. You might want to make sure that no part of WMP is running when you try to remove it... either shut it down, or try booting your Mac cleanly so that no part of WMP starts. Then try to remove it.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Restarting the computer should solve this. Additionally look for any Windows Media related files on the computer (by searching) and throw those away as well. If all else fails use the terminal to delete the files.

TEG

8. coleg thread starter macrumors regular

How would I use the terminal to delete files?

9. coleg thread starter macrumors regular

i just found the files that won't let me delete WMP.

all of the language folders have .html documents and .gif files. they are all locked. there's over a hundred of them.

why would windows do this?

10. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

Well, did you think that microsoft would let the switchers be freed from their horrible os?

11. coleg thread starter macrumors regular

It's just bull. I have to go into the info of over 200 files and unlock them just so I can delete them.

It's not the program itself, it's just the language files.

Is there anyway I can delete them without unlocking everyting?

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Drag them to the trash. If that works, press and hold the option key while choosing "Empty Trash"

Or, select all of them, and Get Info on all of them. You might be able to lock/unlock them all that way.

Command+Option+I brings up a window that will show you the info for the currently selected item, BTW. Useful... :)

13. coleg thread starter macrumors regular

Finally. ALL GONE!

I selected them all and got their info, then unlockey lockey.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Screw windows. Eshfg,. :eek:

14. adrianpop macrumors newbie

Force empty trash

Thanks for the tip, aussie_geek! I've been trying for three hours to get rid of wmp when I accidentally stumbled upon your suggestion as to how force empty trash. And it worked!!! You're a genius!

15. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

How did you do that? I tried force emptying but that didn't work. But I dont know how to access all of those files in one spot, or even which files they are?!