Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erotica6, Feb 14, 2005.

1. erotica6 macrumors newbie

Windows media player just won't work any more. I called myself cleaning out my hard-drive and discovered Windows media player no longer worked. I have a G5 (I'm a newbie, it's my first computer). I tried downloading and re-installing the application, but it's still not working. What should I do to restore it? Please help this newbie. :(

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try deleting the preferences. Do a search in the finder for them. Hopefully that works... Good luck.

WMP on the Mac is pretty bad though, maybe try VLC Media Player, a free download from versiontracker.com

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

MPlayer is good too, you could also try deleting the prefs, if not i would just use VLC player

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It still sucks that he can't get it to work though. Every now and then I come across a movie which plays better in WMP than the alternatives. Not very often, but for those times it's always good to have a WORKING copy.

6. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Go to any finder window and in the upper right corner, click the magnifying glass icon. A menu will pop up, pick 'Everywhere'. Type in 'windows media player' and searching will begin. Some files should appear - drag them to the trash and empty.

Download a fresh copy of Windows Media Player from here and use the installer.

7. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Is second that on VLC. Get VLC it plays everything. Well just about everything. As far as i am aware the only things it doesn't play are Real Audio (.ram) and Quicktime files. Either way its way better than WMP.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not true. Only Windows Media Player 9 plays Windows Media 9 files. Nothing on the Mac plays Windows Media 10 files.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

For real? There can't be all that many out there cos I've never found anything that won't work in Quicktime, WMP or VLC. Jeez, Microsoft have sooooo much to answer for.
    :::glares intensely toward Redmond:::

10. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

It's kinda funny to see this thread pop up. I was just noticing, today, that I can't view .wmv files over the internet anymore - either with Firefox or Safari. I can download them to my local drive, and they'll play from there just fine.

I wonder if it's due to 10.3.8 somehow?

I think I'll try searching for all the related files and deleting them, as per plasticparadox's comment. I had just trashed the WMP preference file, which didn't accomplish anything.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, on that note, does anyone know how to watch wmv files in IE for Mac? I know I shouldn't be using IE but it's the only allowed browser for some sites. The prefs reckon that wmv will be sorted by WMP but it just doesn't happen. It comes up with really weird characters written all over the page - and that's all! Is this what's happening for you too Westside guy? Is it the same problem?

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No.