WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chea, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Chea macrumors newbie

I am very angry right now.

I bought a iBook because I wanted a better experiance than the one provided by a PC-based notebook. I still wanted to be able to do what I do on a PC, but on a Mac.

I've been let down...twice.

1) Packetnews and IRC. I love my ripped albums, and I love mIRC for that very reason. Packetnews is simply amazing for someone like me. Thus far I haven't found an IRC client for Mac which is compatible with Packetnews. Strike one.

2) God damn Windows Media Player. My Windows Media Player doesn't work at all. I've deleted it and re-downloaded it to no avail. Whenever I click on the file which I want to view, I get error code 10660. What he hell is that?

Can someone please help me? I'm going mental.

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Be patient, with the right apps Mac's are very compatible.

Try VLC for your WMP issue.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14738

Sorry to hear your first day of using Apple hasn't gone to success. Give it time and you'll come to love it. Its the best operating system available imo.

3. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

VLC will usually solve WMP issues however running 10.4.2 sometimes my VLC will crash when viewing WMV files. and whenever i open a page with WMP in safari, it will hang and i have to opt apple k it. whatever, yea umm just try VLC haha

VLC

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you never read the memo about not ever single piece of software is ported to the mac?

windows media does work some of the time, but not in certain cases.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Windows Media Player will only playback .wmv, .wma. and .asx files. And then only if it's pre-9. The 10 files won't play neither will any DRM'd file.

mIRC is the single worst IRC client I ever saw. Seriously, for IRC use Xchat or my personal fav Conversation.

As for packetnews... what's that? Packetnews.com is a website to search IRC chats and that site works in Safari.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is incorrect. Windows Media Player 9 for MacOS X plays non-DRMed Windows Media 9 and earlier content. Many users swear by Flip4Mac, a fee-based QuickTime codec that enables Windows Media content in QuickTime-compatible apps. Nothing on the Mac plays Windows Media 10 content.

7. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Yes, Microsoft has done a very crappy job of supporting WMVs on Macs. My advice: Move away from WMV (I always disliked the format anyway) and use a format like MPEG4, H.264, or Quicktime instead.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

From memory and from a bit of help from Google, this error comes from one of the following:

1. If using Office, you still have the Office Test drive installed (irrelevant for you).

2. You have more than one copy of WMP installed on your Mac.

3. Finder cannot locate WMP however it still remember that you installed it.

4. The file has an incorrect name extension (not .WMP or something).

It is a purely Microsoft Business Unit (Microsoft for Mac) error code to the best of my knowledge and for what it's worth. Anyway, this problem may be fixed by:

1. Repairing permissions from the Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

2. Deleting any second copy of WMP you may have installed.

3. Most likely solution; delete the WMP preferences by using Spotlight to find this file: com.microsoft.mediaplayer.plist and dragging to the trash.

As for Packetnews, sorry but I don't know what it is. If you give us all a brief description of what it does, maybe we'll be able to find an alternative for the Mac. :)

9. Chea thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr. Jew,

deleting the WMP preferences worked. Thank you kindly.

For those of you who don't know what Packetnews is, its an MIRC search e ngine. You type in the album you want (ex. Beck - Guero) and it shows you what channels and rooms have the album, along with the code which you must type in to get the file. If you have mIRC downloaded on your PC, you simply click on the file and it takes you to the room where the file is located and all you have to do is copy/paste the file name.

10. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Edit: nevermind

11. andy89 macrumors 6502

WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER IS BOLLOCKS!

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

if it's music you want, get acquisition, a dedicated gnutella client. it's da shiz wrt such things. but dont talk about piracy here--im gonna assume that beck releases his music online for free download ;)

13. billSB22 macrumors newbie

i'm pretty much in the same situation on WMP except the error is "Unable to read the dictionary of the application or extension because it is not scriptable." or something along those lines. the iBook is also my first Mac so i'm pretty new to OS X

14. Pipi macrumors newbie

Chea,
    I am also having problems with WMP. It works with some things, but crashes alot and is a pain in the bum.
    Have you tried VLC ? VLC does what WMP does--only better. Here is the link: http://www.videolan.org/patents.html
    Or, download it from Version Tracker:
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14738
    But, if you are really stuck on WMP, let me know.
    --Pipi

15. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

You can also get Flip4Mac WMV Components to see WMV on Quicktime. I haven't tried it, but it might work for you. the link is here

16. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I got an email from a mate about this app today

"Yo... Flip4Mac WMV component. Ever heard of it? Lets you play WMA/WMV
    files in quicktime... and does it *better* than Windows Media Player
    for Mac!!!!

http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm

seriously, you've got to try it. Kicks the ***** out of Windows Media
    Player for Mac! I wound up buying it. "

Sounds good, but I can't be bothered paying for another codec myself.