Windows Media Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JDOG_, Jan 25, 2005.

1. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Hey there,

Hoping somebody can help me on this one, or at least tell me my problem is unsolvable! For about three months now my Windows Media Player won't play .WMV files with any kind of sound whatsover. In addition to WMP not having sound, the same files simply won't open in VLC or MPlayer. In MPlayer I at least get sound, but most of the time it just gives me the beachball. In VLC, I get the message:

"main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'.
    VLC probably does not support this sound or video format."

Is it just the new WMP codec that isn't avaliable for macs? For basic information I'm running VLC 0.7.2 and MPlayer v.2. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling all three applications and doing diagnostics on my hardware to see if it was the sound card (rolling a 933 iBook G4). Thanks in advance!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My guess is that you are still running WMP 7. Download and install Windows Media Player 9. It is the most recent version of WMP for the Mac. If your file requires WMP 10, you are SOL. M$ is taking its own sweet time porting its latest POS to the Mac.

3. JDOG_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

MisterMe--

I wish I was running an earlier version, unfortunately I am running WMP9, which is where I think my problems are rooted. What I don't understand is how programs like VLC & MPlayer can't even handle any .WMV files....

It should also be noted that VLC & MPlayer are the most up to date versions, so that hasn't helped either :(

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

WMV is a set of proprietary Microsoft formats. Non-Microsoft developers have to reverse-engineer these formats if they want their apps to play them. The developers of VLC and Mplayer have not yet done so. What's so difficult to understand about that?

There is the possibility that you are trying to play Windows Media 10. WMV10 files may have DRM restrictions. It is illegal for VLC and Mplayer to play these.

5. csimon2 macrumors member

I suspect MisterMe is right. The files you are trying to play are likely DRMmed, Advanced profiled, or some variant of v10. VLC only supports up to WMV7 and WMA8 I believe at this time (the "WMV3" notice indicates that the movie is at least WMV9), hence the error message you get. You should try getting some standard WMV7 files and see if the issue still remains.

6. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

you don't happen to have the little speaker set to red do you? That means it is muted. just click on it to make it Black then you should hear audio.

Attached Files:

7. JDOG_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Wow, yeah that was it. Now I feel pwn'd by my computer. I had turned muting off while videos weren't playing, but I guess it just defaulted to mute whenever they started. Thanks!

I had thought that VLC & MPlayer should be able to handle the .WMV files because they tend to handle everything else I throw at them with a relative amount of ease. Anyways, all the files I've tried to view are people-made videos from windows movie maker with .WMV format...nothing with DRM or v10 codec.

Thanks again everybody, and especially the Canadians in this case :cool: