windows more overly complicated than i thought

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by swingerofbirch, May 7, 2006.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I have used Windows casually but when I came across this article describing how to set permissions for an Application I thanked my lucky stars I use a Mac:

http://www.komando.com/tips_show.asp?showID=9145

Have you ever seen anything like that?

2. timmac macrumors member

Not only have I seen something like that, but I've had to do it once!

I kept my Windows OS on a different partition than all my photos, docs, music, etc. I had to reinstall the OS, but I entered my name differently (I used Tim instead of Timothy, or vice-versa). I had to then go back and change permission on every photo, document, etc.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

;) My nomination for the award for the Mr. Obvious post of the week *I know it's only Monday

:D

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think if you look carefully, written in invisible ink in that sentence is "or switching to a Mac".

5. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

You seriously have to restart your Windows machine to change permissions? Yikes! Learn something new every day, I guess.

6. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Not usually, unless you're running Windows XP Home. XP Home needs to be booted into Safe Mode to access the Administrator account. This is one of the many ways in which XP Home is an infuriatingly crippled release.

I'm a bit surprised that the article didn't have the person take ownership of the folder and reassign the permissions that way. There's an option there to recursively replace the ownership on all files and folders within said folder. I believe any Administrator can do this. It seems a bit more logical than uninstalling Quake, restarting, and reinstalling.

7. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

That's good to know, I guess, since if I were to ever be running XP it would most likely be XP Pro. Still, though, if that is one of their ways of attempting to make XP more secure it sure seems like piss-poor implementation. Also, it doesn't seem to have stopped people from exploiting the OS.

8. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

I agree. Kim Komando has a nationally syndicated weekly show so i'm surprised nobody on her research team came up with your suggestion. I've listened a few times. She likes Macs, or least I've heard her say positive things about the iMac & Powerbook.