Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2002
well, it's official! i am now a born-again mac head (used macs until 1998, then to windows/linux, now to beautiful mac os x!). yesterday i bought myself a 12" pb g4. i LOVE it. it's wonderful...:D
but im having some issues with our windows network in my apartment. i can map a shared folder on a windows machine, to be accessed by my mac (with limited success.. i sometimes get an "error = -5000", and had to logout and log back in to try again). but what i cant do is access my mac from the pc. how does one do this? in other words, how do i share specific folders on the mac to be accessed by pc users on my network? FYI - this is not a domain, but a windows workgroup.
another issue i have is root access. i never put in a root password, and as far as i can tell, there is no root account (or it's disabled). i am not going to destroy my partition, i just want root access for certain things (changing the hostname, specifically.. unless there is another way, other than in /etc/hostconfig).
Thanks in advance!
-tom

mbustamante

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2003
Dublin, Ohio
To put in a root passwword insert the software install disc(it's gray, usualy) restart and hold down the C key. You sohuld after startup get a install message, go up to where the apple is and click on software install(Right next to it, it's important you do not re-install OS X) their on the menu should be a password change thing. Select root and enter your new password, click OK and shut down. Wow*confuses self* I will get some pictures and post them. :)

mbustamante

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2003
Dublin, Ohio
Ok, I can't get pics, but basicly:
1.)Insert System Install CD
2.)Restart Computer
3.)When you hear the chime hold down "c" key untill it says starting installation and has the bar moving
4.)DO NOT touch anything in the open window!
5.)Go to system disc(Or whatever comes up after the apple and chose reset password
5.)Click on the hard drive Icon
6.)Choose "System Administrator (Root)" Form the pull down list
7.)Inster Password in corect fields
8.)Click OK
9.)Restart normaly

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The easy way to enable root...
  • Open Terminal
  • Type 'sudo passwd root'
  • Enter your password
  • Enter a new root password
  • Re-enter the new root password

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.