windows network unsafe?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sk3pt1c, Jan 12, 2007.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but here goes:
    i have allowed my mac to be available on a windows network
    so i can access it via my pc that runs windows xp
    in case i'd like to transfer files over.
    the question is this:
    can people get to my mac and damage it via my pc through
    windows?
    thanks

2. Queso macrumors G4

They will only be able to get into those file areas you open up by Sharing. If you have only used the default settings, only files in your home directory are shared out, and even then a valid username and password is necessary to access them. Your Mac is quite safe.

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

access to my home directory is enough to cause damage or delete important files though.
    the thing is this:
    once i type in the username and password from my pc to transfer files over, won't that username and password be stored somewhere temporarily?
    and even if it isn't, since then the pc will have access, won't anyone be able to get to my mac through it?

4. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

That's why it's a good idea to set up a separate user your not too picky about to set aside for windows sharing on the mac. Only transfer the files you want to share there.

5. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

If you are running Windows XP or Windows 2000 on your PC, then it won't remember your password after you log out. That way you can't log back into your Mac from your PC. In Mac OS X, if you connect to your PC from your Mac, then it won't remember your password unless you tell it to remember it in your Keychain.

6. MacAnkka macrumors regular

I prefer not to have my MacBook share any files in my lan network.

Instead, I have a folder called "SHARE" on my pc which anyone can write/read on LAN. If I need to copy something from my Mac to the PC, I just connect to the SHARE-folder from my Mac and copy the file there. Then, on the PC, I move the file from the SHARE to a more appropriate folder that no-one can write to from the network. Works the other way around, too.

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I'm pretty sure both Win2k and XP cache up to 15 user-id/password combinations by default, though I don't recall if it's just for logins or if shares get cached too. I'd want to check the MS docs prior to relying on it not caching.

8. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

it does cache the login details, that's for sure
    it only asks for it again when i shut down/restart

what i'm doing is i'm using my pc to download stuff, since i don't really mind having it on for days and days
    and then i transfer the downloads to my mac. i'm just worried about access to my mac when i enable windows
    sharing...

if i set up another account just for these transfers, how can i limit that account's access to folders and just provide sharing access to the Desktop so i can paste the files from my pc?

another thing, can someone access your mac when it's sleeping?

9. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I'm almost a 100% sure that the WiFi turns off when it goes to sleep. As for the NIC, that's a different matter...I really don't use it. :eek:

10. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

cool, i connect with wi-fi so that's settled

as far as the main issue is concerned, i've created an account and given it no access whatsoever to anything and i've enabled windows sharing for it only and not my admin account
    so now it's just a matter of switching when i need to transfer some files over.
    thanks guys