Windows Networking speed problems

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stevey500, Oct 20, 2004.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Ok, well I share my hard drive on my windows machine with my mac, my mac and my pc are on the same router and they are both running at 100mbps... Sometimes when im connected to the shared drive on my pc, through my mac... Im usualy copying mp3s over from my pc to my mac... It was going DOG slow... about 30 sec for a 3mb file transfer!! But then a day later I was trasferring files again... it took no time at all to transfer them, they were going at a very reasonable speed... what the heck is up with that? Cause right now again, its going very slow.. and I'm impatient with it... how can I fix this? Why is the speed changing? Any way to fix it?? thanks...

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

On your Windows machine, open your network connection properties and see if QoS Packet Scheduler is installed. If so, uninstall it.

3. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

What version of windows is it? I would suggest, not networking from the Mac to the PC (as in sitting in front of the mac to get files), but turn on Windows file sharing on the Mac, and use IE in Windows to network to the Mac. you will type something like "\\192.168.1.100\username" in IE and it will ask for your password to your "username" and you can then drop the files you want in there. I find it speedier this way.