windows on a mac - the contest

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dredakiss, Jan 25, 2006.

1. dredakiss macrumors newbie

Anyone else see the website contest for getting windows to run on an intel mac? Its done through donations and the purse is up to almost $6500 at the time of this writing! It should definitely be enough of an incentive to get someone to seriously attempt it. Plus more people are donating every day! I would personally love to have the flexibility of both OS on my soon to be bought 17" macbook pro (man i hope its soon). The site is winxponmac.com.

Interestingly, if it cannot be done, the webmaster originally promised to return donations to contributors, but now they will be sent to a charity. Hopefully this isn't an indication of a scam and the charity isn't himself. Any thoughts?

2. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

Yes - if the web site owner was dishonest then that sounds like either Theft or Obtaining a Pecuniary Advantage by Deception both of which here in the UK are contrary the Theft Act 1968. Otherwise it sounds like some sort of breach of trust. I wish I had some law books to hand!

EDIT: having checked the website, the author now states that "If you donated prior to 2006/01/23 2:10pm CST, and you do not wish to donate to charity, I will return your money minus the paypal fee", which is a quite different scenario. I'm not very good on trust law, but I definitely can't see you establishing criminal dishonesty. I guess notification is likely to be a factor - whether he has emailed all the early donators, etc.

3. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Considering the guy sent me a thank you personally from his e-mail for the $50 I think he's honest. We had a nice like e-mail chat back and forth.

4. ldenman macrumors regular

i had a chat with him on aim and he was a really cool dude.
    not that really cool dudes can't be dishonest, but i trust him.